Report Abuse

Re: Re: Recouping deposits from credit card company after canceling timeshare purchase

[Q=ronene] My wife and I decided that our timeshare purchase was a big mistake So I just disputed my cc charge. The downpayment was 50% so we’re talking a big number here. Does anyone have experience with a cc company (in this case chase business card) NOT refunding with chargeback because of a timeshare contract?[/Q] You make no mention at all of the critically important FIRST step, which is to rescind (cancel) the timeshare purchase contract (assuming that you are still within the rescission period provided by state law to do so). If you are already past the rescission period of the state in which you executed the contract, you are out of luck and any attempt to dispute a voluntary charge made of your own free will on a valid contract after the rescission period has already passed most likely will not succeed. Even cancelling the credit card entirely after the rescission period has passed will NOT relieve you of the legal obligations associated with a valid, lawful contract that you previously and voluntarily signed of your own free will. Unless the contract you voluntarily signed is rescinded (cancelled) in time, there is no basis for ANY credit card issuer to consider (let alone process) a "dispute" for a legitimate charge voluntarily made on a valid contract. All a developer needs to do to easily win any such "dispute" is produce a copy of the valid contract bearing your voluntary signature; you will not prevail in the face of that irrefutable documentary proof. I sincerely hope that you are still within your contract rescission time period (5-7 days after contract execution in most states, 10 days in Florida and Tennessee, but only 3 days in Massachusetts and two other states). If you are still within the available rescission period, rescind (cancel) [b]immediately[/b] --- in writing and without any further delay. Tick tock...