Report Abuse

excessive maintenance fees

I find the maintenance fees in most timeshares to be more than a little outrageous. In looking at the timeshare resales on this website, I noticed they range from about $700 to $2500 per week, or $36,400 to $130,000 per year. A good comparison would be the yearly costs in owning a condominium. For example, I found a 2 bedroom condo on the ocean in Boca Raton Florida listed for 1.1 million. The yearly cost estimate (HOA, tax and insurance) from Zillow is $31,932. This is a far cry from my small, dated timeshare in Arkansas that collects $57,200 in various fees every year. In general, there is an inverse relationship between maintenance fees and resale value-- the higher the fees the lower the resale value. This explains why the "value" of a timeshare drops by perhaps 80% the day after it was bought from a developer. This explains why you can buy a timeshare for $1 on Ebay. If I am right about timeshare companies overcharging owners for maintenance, this is fraudulent activity. I'd like to know if independent, outside auditors ever examine the maintenance fees of timeshare companies.