Report Abuse

Re: Marriott: Own a week, debating adding club points.

I did fall down the rabbit hole and spent better part of a day reading post on various forums. Best resource was the TUG (Timeshare User Group) forums. Here is what I learned: (please comment if your experience contradicts any of this) Use case: I have owned a week purchased from Marriott since 2003. Most of the posts I have seen refer to an owned week purchased on secondary market after 2010. Posters are looking for strategies to get the ability to exchange that week for points and combine with owned points. Owing a week purchased directly from Marriott prior to 2010 and how club points from exchanging my week can be used with no owned points or owned points via secondary market is what I am researching. Best single post to read: https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/marriott-abound-formerly-destination-club-points-system-faq-guide.197346/ 1. If you buy points on the secondary market, all rights and privileges do transfer if you pay the 'enrollment' fee which can double the price. If all rights transfer, then I would expect to be able book a stay and blend the points across owned and week exchanged points to secure the reservation. If someone has direct experience on this being not true, please comment. 2. I modeled a number of purchases that should clear the right of refusal hurdle and it looks like you still get a ~ 55-60% discount to retail. Here is a calculator to help calculate costs. https://vacationpointexchange.com/resale/ 3. Owned week exchanged points vs owned points are kept in different inventory buckets for legal reasons. DC Trust Members have direct access to inventory in the DC Trust as well as inventory available through the DC Exchange Company; and, DC Exchange Members have direct access to only the inventory that's available through the DC Exchange Company. My salesperson represented this as very little inventory in the DC Exchange CO, but week owners who exchange for Bonvoy points or club points weeks are in the DC exchange company. It looks like availability is not bad (can't be worse than interval exchange). Just high super high demand locations/time windows are hard. 4. From what I read; owning points gives you access to all inventory per club level rules. You can book and secure the reservation with owned points and owner week points. The points are used in 250 point blocks, so if you only need 50 points from your owned week point pool, that can cause a hiccup. I am going to trade my week for 2024 to club points and see what I can reserve without owning any points. I expect high demand / high season locations to be difficult to book, but that is not an issue as I am flexible and usually look for shoulder seasons to avoid crowds. I don't expect availability to be worse than what I have seen via putting a week into interval for exchange, but time will tell. That test also gives me to time validate: Ability to purchase points on 2nd hand market, paying the full fee for rights and blend them with points from exchanging my week to book club property vacations. Also that points purchased on secondary market with full fee do in fact combine with the points I get from owner exchange for club level benefits (eg. bonvoy platinum)