Report Abuse

Re: Fraud

[Q=philipr35] What kind of assurances does one have that the person renting is actually an owner? It seems a little spooky to pay seven months in advance and not even know for sure that the person does in fact own the timeshare.[/Q] ======================================= A good question. My suggestion would be (....before parting with any money) to ask the person for his/her name and address and then call the resort directly to confirm that the name of the person on record there as owner(s) of a particular unit / week is, in fact, the very same name as the person to whom you might later be sending money. I certainly don't know about ALL resorts EVERYWHERE, but I do know that those at which I own are willing to provide such confirmation. As a privacy matter, however, most resorts (quite reasonably) might require you to provide the name first, and then confirm or refute the information you have. Most will NOT respond to a mere inquiry "who owns week X, unit 123?". And as Mike has observed, use of an escrow service is an added measure of protection for BOTH parties. Good luck.