Report Abuse

Re: TIMESHARE OWNERS GETTING HOSED ON EXCHANGES!

[Q=ken1193] [Q=jayjay] [b]I believe phil thinks the front desk decides where to put an exchanger and therefore the exchanger has no control. However, I don't actually believe it's the front desk ... I think it's their computer that decides where to place people. The front desk merely assigns what the computer tells them to via housekeeping, depending if a unit has been cleaned and is ready for occupancy. You can always request a certain area/building/unit at a resort, but whether or not your request is granted is another matter. At some resorts a request will try to be granted but others will not budge as they firmly assign what the computer tells them is ready. It just depends on the resort. Also, some resorts preassign units and they're part of the confirmation from II and/or RCI. Exchanging is always a crapshoot and most people want the best views (ocean view, pool view, mountain view, garden view or whatever the popular view is at a resort). I honestly don't envy the front desk staff that have to constantly strive to please every exchanger as far as views go. This is why I always advise people that if they want a certain unit, a certain building, a certain floor or a certain view that it's best to buy instead of counting on getting that criteria in an exchange. When we were into timesharing, that's exactly what we did .... we bought units that had views we preferred (ocean, gulf, mountain, lake etc.) but on exchanges we took whatever we were given. Even if a change of view was requested by us but was denied or unavailable we didn't get miffed. That's just part of the territory of exchanging.[/b][/Q] ===================================== Thank you for clarifying phil's intended point. Given the title of his original post, I had not really grasped that his complaint is apparently about unit location within a resort, not about the exchange process itself. You have explained the unit location assignment situation by resorts accurately and well. In the end, an incoming "exchange" guest has no real say whatsoever about location within the resort, except by sheer luck and good fortune. The resort does not know (or care) what the guest owns elsewhere, or whether the assigned unit location is comparable to the location of whatever the guest may have deposited. In fact, in this day and age of ever-increasing rentals by the exchange companies, an incoming guest could just as likely be someone who rented (i.e., not an "exchange") directly from RCI. While perhaps an RCI member, such renters may not actually even own timeshare at all anywhere. The world of exchanging, as I described previously in some detail, has really changed a lot over the past decade and will clearly continue to do so in the future.[/Q] I would like to interject that you need to be realistic with your expectations! I have travelled and mostly exchanged for over 20 years and my most recent being SVC Paniolo Greens in Hawaii. What a pleasant experience. When I arrived, the clerk asked me if I wanted ground level without stairs or the upper level! I am very flexible with my travel dates and can go in off season or slower times where crowds and accommodations are less than capacity. I have traded mostly with RCI and own Gold Crown and lower and have had great trades most of the time. I am very disappointed with RCI though because they have gotten too big and I am now trying Redweek. I have successfully deposited and traded 1 week so far and know how to use the system. It takes lots of time and patience! Hope this helps.