Report Abuse

How do I find out what market value is when buying a resale?

[Q=byronh8] I just rented a week from an owner in Cancun and am seriously considering buying into a timeshare there. We stayed at the Gran Melia and almost purchased thru them but didn't like their best price. We would like a higher end resort in Cancun (Royal, Marriot, Melia, etc) but I have no idea of how to determine what a fair market value to pay is. Obviously I want to get the best deal but I also want the seller to know we are serious buyers instead of simply trying to give lowball offers. Any advice from sellers or buyers would be greatly appreciated.[/Q] I wrote couple post in the past and it might help you with some idea's on buying /selling if you could find them! We sold a condo years ago and some friends after watching us did same thing. If you like the resort your renting ask the owner if he is trying to sell and if so try deal where much if not all your rent goes on the sale. Agree before going on a price. We did this and four days after our renters were in PV Mexico and going on the tour called us to start the paper work. Of coarse you are doing the right thing by checking resale pricing first.Many owners would try and up their price to cover your rental fee so lock price in before going. If you work this deal get it in writing on your rental contract with total price after rental discounts so the price is locked in! I wonder why I have not seen people looking to rent on wishlist state they would buy unit under this deal if they like the unit and resort. You would be shocked with all the timeshares for sale how many owners might jump at this deal. Some not even trying to sell would have to think about it too. List on Wishlist: Looking to rent at these resorts with option to buy your time share within two weeks of stay. Price to be agreed on with rental fee being deducted from sales price. Willing to pay this amount minus our rental fee. The worse thing that can happen with this is nothing happens. Best result is you have great vacation,check out the resort and units and become owner at great price. Remember you are planning on spending the money anyway for vacation so this way it works for you if you buy! GOOD LUCK! PHIL