Report Abuse

exchange value

[Q=akajanet] Is the exchange value different for a 4 star timeshare versus a gold or silver crown resort?[/Q] =================== IMHO, the exchange value is based simply on supply and demand. A unit in a popular vacation spot during a peak demand period (i.e Florida during spring or summer break) will have a better excange value than a unit in a less popular area or during the off season. So a non-rated unit in a high demand area during peak season can have a higher exchange value than a rated unit. For example, with II, my summer non-rated NH unit trades better than my summer 5-Star unit in the saturated Williamsburg area. I've read of some non-rated, but highly popular, NC resorts that can exchange for Disney resorts. The week color also has little to do with the exchange value. Florida is always RED, but April vacation is Bright Red (high demand), while the second week of January is more of a Pink color (less demand) RCI and II ratings are based on guest comment cards and have no impact on exchange value. It doesn't take too many negatives to drop a rating. In fact there is a thread at TUG discussing RCI ratings. Another thing to keep in mind, is the exchange companies also have filters which might prevent an owner of certain Gold Crown/5-start resorts from "seeing" non-rated resorts when trying to do an exchange.