Report Abuse

points for airfare

[i][Q=amandaa39] We own through RCI and recently switched over to the points system. We used to own a week in Vegas and now have 122,000 points. I'm wondering how the airfare thing works. For example, I was under the impression that if we wanted 2 airline tickets we could apply some points to one ticket and some points to the other and then pay the difference. When I called yesterday, the guy (who was kind of rude) said we only had enough to cover one whole ticket (which I knew) and that we couldn't use the remainder of our points toward the 2nd ticket. That didn't seem right to me. Anyone have any experience with this?[/Q][/i] ====================== While I've not actually used the program, I had similar questions. Rather than being able to select which tier to use for points value discounts, the program now is limited to the closest tier below the transaction value. For example, if one ticket is $625, you HAVE to use 70,000 points to exchange for $600 and pay the balance of $25 (PLUS $49 transaction fee). Your point balance would be 52,000 points and you CANNOT use a portion of those points for a partial discount on the second ticket (i.e 40,000 pts for $400 discount) If you could buy two tickets valued at under $600 each, then you could apply 55,000 pts toward each ticket. RCI touts this as an improvement over the old program, but it actually limits the amount of points one can use for airfare, hotels, etc. If you only had 25,000 pts you can only use them towards airfare that costs LESS than $300. If the airfare was $310, you're out of luck. You cannot apply the 25,000 pts for a $200 discount. In this scenario the CLOSEST tier is $300 and you would NEED 35,000 pts.