Report Abuse

vacation sales and marketing scam

[Q=michaelk91]I keep reading about people that have been scammed, including myself, isn't there anyone out there who has had success in selling their timeshare??[/Q] [b]I've sold 9 timeshares via internet listing sites such as Redweek, however you have to keep in mind that it's definitely a buyer's market with this bad economy and you have to price your week competitively and well below other listings IF you can sell it at all (depending on time owned and the popularity of the location and resort) .... some timeshare weeks can't even be given away. I will have to admit that I sold all 9 of my timeshares before postcard companies hit the market with their 1 cent, 25 cent and $1.00 timeshares on Ebay .... I probably couldn't GIVE my previously owned timeshares away now for free .... postcard companies and this rescession have devalued ALL timeshares (even the high ends such as Marriott, Westin, Hilton, 4 Seasons etc). Marriott has even discontinued ROFR (right of first refusal). IMHO, I don't see the timeshare industry ever recouping as it was before this rescession as people have learned a valubale lesson concerning buying luxury items (especially those with never ending rising maintenance fees and special assessments) and financing a developer purchase will be harder and harder (what entity is going to finance a timeshare with it's a volumous rate of foreclosures?) .... the industry will never recover from this rescession and the memories it will invoke in the future. However, the resale market may do well in the future (for some popular locations, times and resorts) .... only time will tell, but it's the rising maintenance fees and special assessments that will hurt even the resale market as many maintenance fees have risen above what owners can get on the rental market .... in other words, many owners have to post their rental rates lower than their maintenance fees if they want to rent their week it at all, sometimes much lower and it's not a guarantee that the unit will rent at all (it's all about supply and demand of that particular resort and time owned).[/b]