Report Abuse

Re: Ripoff - Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Program - New Point System

Oh, and two questions I did not address. For the scenario of cypress harbor: if all cypress harbor legacy owners use their home resort, then no other legacy week owners at any other Marriott resort nor any trust owners can get in, prevailing cypress harbor is a sold out resort. However I do know that the legal documents of the trust that state which properties have trust inventory include cypress harbor. More than likely it is a very small percentage of cypress harbor that is trust inventory. Any reaquired inventory from foreclosures or units given back for whatever reason is turned into trust inventory and put into the trust. In this economy, more people give up a timeshare over their homes. And as for maintenance fees....no changes to them if you just enroll. However if you puchase trust points, then you get a deed. Anytime you have a deed, you also have a maintenance fee. The maintenance fee for trust points are .40 per point. So the minimum trust ownership of 1000 points every year comes with a $400 a year maintenance fee. This is on top of whatever maintenance fee an owner already has with their legacy deeds. In my opinion only: to the person that said the trust points are too expensive and they see little value to it, I have both legacy weeks and trust points. I paid less for my trust points than my legacy week, and get ownership of every resort in the trust now and all the ones in the future without having to pay more, verses the one deed my legacy week gives me. If I wanted another deed for my legacy resort, in the past I would have to buy another week. To me, I get more for my money now than before. True that some resorts cost more for a week than my legacy week gives me ( like Hawaii) and in the old system, I could trade my week evenly for a week in Hawaii, prevailing it was available in interval. And in those cases I will use my legacy week still in that same fashion. But their are other resorts where I get 3 or 4 weeks with the points my legacy week gives me. In those cases it makes sense that I would use it in whatever fashion gives me the most for my ownership. And truthfully the resorts and weeks that are high point costs are not ones I would use in reality in either system. I don't go to Hawaii every year so I chose not to let those point costs turn me off to the entire program. And in every case, as long as I check in on a Sunday and stay six days instead of seven ( check out on Friday) the point cost is half off from the full week cost. It also leaves me enough points to do it again or two more times in some places. I am flexible and don't mind doing this if that means I can get more out of it. Some people however, are not as flexible or would rather not give up a day on their vacation even if it means getting another 6 days someplace else. But again, I own both. I like both. Both systems are not perfect, but I have found that what one lacks the other does not and vise versa. So to me it made sense to buy both and have the best of both worlds to accomplish my vacation goals. To each their own.