Report Abuse

Re: Ripoff - Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Program - New Point System

I am glad that you are happy with what you have and how you are able to use it. I for one am not. I like you have owned about the same time as you. The main reason why I bought was the certain quality Marriott was known for. I own a winter week in Palm Desert, where I am as we speak, and two weeks in Maui. When I purchased each location, they were the top property in the system and always planned to use them above all else. I have been to just about every US property I care to go to and have NO interest to travel abroad. I NEVER give up my Master Unit in PD, and will NEVER turn in my Maui units for Marriott to sell to someone for points. Yesterday, for 2 rounds of golf I attended another points presentation and did everything in my power not to smack the FOOL who tried to convince me what I needed. That I should convert to points, get 2900 points in return for PD and 6200 for Maui. Mind you there is nothing comparable that I could get for those points, but I could buy more for the low price of, WAIT FOR IT, $10.94 cents per point. Now since it takes 3,750 points to come to Palm Desert in the winter [ for which I only get 2900 ], it would only cost the points buyer a little over $40,000 for that privilege. Now mind you, I only paid $16,500 back when I bought it and probably could not get $15,000 before commission if I sold it, someone will buy the required points from these thieves. The latest news is that not only will the points buyer not be leaving Intervals Int., you will instead be getting a lifetime membership. Frankly, the quality of the product has drastically diminished. The units are not properly maintained and the resort is not being cared for as in the past. Here, the USA today we were getting at our door, now are found at the main pool or the clubhouse. No delivery! The Spa's are all not working properly and the pools are less than clean. Lastly, what they fail to tell folks who buy points is that they don't have units at all resorts that you could get directly from them. Thus, in Maui for example, they are no better than II for the older less expensive units, because there are none in their trust. If no one deposits their weeks for points they have none to give you. Under II it was a 50-1 proposition and under the point system it will be less. The reason for this is that for owners who don't convert, their deposits will go to II not Marriott. Now as you look at this board, there are obviously SHILLS who log on and give you the corporate correct answer and try to convince folks that anything negative that happens is their fault and due to inadequate planning, and that the salesman are all ethical. I say they have NEVER met the salesman I talked to. Lastly, for a little food for thought, the salesman yesterday told me that the IDEAL number of points was 6,200 or for you mathematically challenged folks roughly $71,000. Now, since we have already determined that at some point, your unused points will expire, what would happen each year to you if your average usage was less than what you bought. That's right, they simply go to unused points heaven. If at some point you are tempted to buy more from them, I will sell mine for half the price.