Report Abuse

Re: Ripoff - Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Program - New Point System

Well g333, if you are done patting yourself on the back, and rightfully so may I say, understand this. With the exception of Marco Island, which I have no desire to visit, I have been to every other Marriott location you have mentioned and others you didn't such as Boston Custom House and Newport Coast by trading my Winter Palm Desert efficiency unit. In most cases for a two bedroom unit. In 20 years, I never had a problem with Intervals because of the research I did. I would assume that may very well change. Except I now understand that after all the reasons Marriott gave in their points presentation to eliminate II, they are now including a LIFETIME membership. As I have said before, I own 2 Platinum Maui weeks, which yes include Christmas and the 4th of July. Now tell me why I would ever want to give one of them up when there are no unsold units in your trust so I can get to say Marco Island? My decision not to convert rested solely on the fact that the amount of points they wanted to give me was FAR LESS than the amount they would get from others like you for what I not them OWNED. I also bought units only in the exact places I wanted to vacation. Simply made no sense. As for why I felt what they are doing is a ripoff is solely based on the amount they charge for points being roughly three times higher than the resale value of a comparable point location. My example being that the week I own in Palm Desert will cost you 3750 points that cost $41,000. Now that unit cost me $16,500 in 1994 and although they once sold for a high of $31,000, I probably would net less than $10,000 if I ever wanted to sell. Which I don't! As for Maui, you don't even want to know the difference, I will tell you that ever since the points program started Marriott has been calling me trying to get those units back. Their offer, what I paid for them! Which is WAY less than what it would cost you for points IF THEY EVEN HAD ONE TO GIVE YOU. It once was told to me, that for each 5000 request for that location only one would get it and that person would most certainly be a Marriott owner. Sadly those odds have not changed much. I spent a career prosecuting people for Tax Fraud. Some for far less that a comparable scheme than this. Yes it's a business and as we say, Business is GOOD! I am happy that you are happy. It sounds that you have properly done you due diligence and are satisfied with the cost. I will however bet you were NOT given all that fine information in your one hour presentation. There in lies the problem!