Report Abuse

No umbrellas allowed on Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club lagoon beach???

Hi, Just a question to all who have stayed at Ko Olina. I noticed when looking at all the beach photos, I would see lots of recliners and never a single sun umbrella. Then I found out that umbrellas are "banned" on the Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club lagoon beach. I couldn't believe it, how is that supposed to work for families that have a child under 1 yr old for example who really need a place in shade? Or adults who for various reasons simply can't sit in the open sun? So I called the Ko Olina security office (Marriott informed me it's not really their policy but the Ko Olina assocation or whatever), and they said some years ago an umbrella went flying and hit a little girl, so they banned them all. Now I don't know the particulars of this incident and hopefully it wasn't tragic, but come on, when a kid slips on the pool decking and cuts his head, is the pool forever closed to future guests? Costco now sells Tommy Bahama umbrellas that have a corkscrew-like bottom pole that is designed to prevent the flyaway umbrellas. Wouldn't that be sufficient? And if you're not going to allow guests to bring their own beach umbrellas, for God's sake at least provide sturdy weighted umbrellas to guests that aren't able to sit in the open sun. Sorry for the long winded way to ask if anyone has had problems on the beach here with the "no umbrella" policy?