Report Abuse

Re: Marriott Going to a Point System

[Q=klalaw07] If you don't work for Marriott you should as they can't explain this. First what do you mean, Marriott Deed does not guarantee I can stay in a Marriott? Are you meaning just with II? 2nd. You can hardly exchange with II as before when point owners are not depositing to II and few deeded owners are left to do so.3rd. I have weeks 51 and 52 at Maui. I want an additional bedroom for same time. Please guide me into renting points for this ASAP. Sounds like I need to join RedWeek and TUG now to manage my Marriott deeded weeks? Any others? If I buy points for the 2 days prior to my week 51 can I then book them followed by 51 and 52 two days ahead of 13 months?[/Q] Yes. The rules have changed, but I want you to know that for someone like you the rules have actually changed for the better. The reason is because you have a highly demanded property at prime time. From what I gather, you have 2 weeks during Christmas and New Years. Those are platinum plus weeks. You paid prime dollars for these weeks and Marriott has rewarded you with giving you lot of Destination Points (DC)if you choose to convert them on any given year to stay at other Marriotts. I am not talking about Marriott Rewards Points. I am talking about the Destination Points. The Destination Points are the ones that allow you to book at other Marriott Timeshares and book cruises and tours. If you have a 2 bdrm mountain view you probably get somewhere near 11,000 points in the DC. This would give you Premier status in the DC and you would have priority in making reservations. When I said you were not guaranteed to stay at a Marriott, I meant you are guaranteed to stay at your Maui property and only that property. If you wanted to stay at say Ko Olina, Barony Beach or Surfwatch, there was no guarantee by Marriott for you to have the ability to do that. You can go through Interval International, but they don't have to provide you with a Marriott to be exchanged into, they could give you a Westin or a no name brand. However, understand that you have a highly demanded property so in most cases depending when you deposit, you will have preferential treatment with Interval International but there are no guarantees. It is important that if you are going to stay at your Maui property, you don't want to convert to Destination points. You want to make you regular reservation like you always have. You would not have enough points to exchange back into your property. That is the way it is for all of the owners who want to exchange into their properties. Just reserve it like always and you should have no problem. I you want to add on extra nights, I would suggest that you rent the points. The points must be in your account when you make the reservation. I cannot give you the website, but if you send me a pm, I can share the website. Marriott allows owners to transfer points amongst each others account as I described above. You could just add the additional points to your account and then add the two days. It's legit and many owners are happy with it. Marriott owns units that it has not sold yet in weeks 51 & 52. They, like you, have the right to sell or rent those units. They pay maintenance fees on those units like you. What they have done is made all of the weeks that they still own open only to those with DC points. This is not just for Maui but for all of their properties in which they have excess inventory. They could rent them to you or make them available to weeks owners if they wanted to, but why should they when they could make top dollar buy making them available to DC points owners or rent them for crazy money. Remember, they are a FOR PROFIT company. There are as many deeded owners as there has always been. When people convert to points they still have their deed. They only convert to points if they want to exchange into another Marriott, exchange with II or use the other opportunities like tours or use hotels. In fact, there are actually more opportunities for owner like yourself to give up your week than there were before with only II or exchanging for MRP points were the only options. I hope this helps. I don't work for Marriott but I own at Ko Olina and I along with many others have found the points option very advantageous in some situations. If I were you, I would definitely look at the forum on tug2.net and look at the Marriott forum. You will find many, many knowledgeable owners who can better inform you as to how to get the most out of the points system. You are in a catbird's seat and don't seem to know it. You should be one of the happy campers with the Marriott option. Learn to get the maximum from your ownership. Try it, you'll like it.