Report Abuse

Renting Out Timeshare Getaway Weeks

How would RCI or II know that getaway (sic) weeks had been sold ? If no one actually has the weeks ( they are virtual) and the claim here is that no actual commercial rentals occur (they are simply a selling tool to validate the sale) ... what is the point of all this effort ? [Q=jayjay] [Q=sonyac33] Hello, I am a new timeshare owner and had a question about renting out getaway weeks. Last month my husband and I bought a timeshare in Gatlinburg, TN. When we purchased the timeshare we were told we would receive 12 Getaway Weeks with Interval International. Our sales rep and his manager both told us that we could sell those Getaway Weeks through VRBO in order to pay the yearly maintenance fee. Not being familiar with timeshares, we decided to go for it. We paid the outlandish advertisement fee (which was stupid, I know) thinking that we would be able to post those Getaway Weeks for places like New Orleans during Mardi Gras or Destin during Spring Break. Now not only am I finding out the only property we can post on VRBO is our own, but I'm reading on here that we can't even sell those Getaway Weeks. Is that correct? Did anybody else get tricked into buying a timeshare for the same reasons? Is this even legal?[/Q] I'm not sure what II Getaway Weeks are, but Extra Vacations with RCI are not allowed to be sold. Like don said, is 'You Can Rent Your 12 Getaway Weeks' in your written contract ? .... if not then you've been sold a verbal lie. If it IS written into your legal contract and you're not able to rent those weeks via VRBO then you have a legal leg to stand on as far as getting out of this contract.[/Q]