Report Abuse

Re: We are thinking about a Timeshare Purchase, whats your honest opinion???

By David Wren - dwren@thesunnews.com This I linked to one of my articles: Timeshare tips Things to consider if you are thinking about buying a timeshare: • Ask yourself how likely are you to use a timeshare year after year? Are your vacation plans sometimes subject to last-minute changes? How much do you genuinely love the place where the vacation units are based? You’ll be responsible for the costs of your timeshare whether you use it or not. • Don’t view this as an investment. Like new cars, timeshares tend to depreciate quickly – and they’re typically difficult to resell. • Don’t finance. If you’re sure you want to pay for a timeshare, do so up front in cash. Most vacation developments will allow you to finance the purchase, but their interest rates are often high. • Watch out for maintenance fees, which can cost $500 or more per year and can rise at rates that equal or exceed inflation. Find out whether your plan has a fee cap or an inflation-protection plan. • Walk away if you feel pressured. Should you find yourself across from a high-pressure sales person, either leave or tell the salesman to back off. • Ask a lot of questions, such as: What are the maintenance fees used for? Do I lose my points if I don’t use them? Can I bring pets? • Ask for a copy of the property’s current maintenance budget, and find out what’s done to manage and repair the property. Definitely visit the resort and ask multiple owners about their experiences. Source: Bankrate.com; NBC News Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/news/business/article13846319.html#storylink=cpy