Report Abuse

Re: A fee just to look on Red Week decreases the number of potential renters

[Q=carolm683]I am referring to the general public that would like to see properties for rental, they can not browse without paying $18.99.[/Q] Yes, people can browse without paying the membership. People just cannot contact owners unless they pay the membership. There is a big difference. I like to look at it this way. Have you ever tried advertising your unit for sale or rent on a free website like Craigslist? Since many spammers and scam artists can contact timeshare owners (as well as owners of other items) without paying, many owners' inboxes are filled with robo-inquiries, spammers, scam artists and people who are not all that serious about renting. Many owners feel that this is a huge waste of their time trying to filter out such lame inquiries. I also personally like this approach. If I am serious about inquiring and I plan to spend thousands of dollars on a vacation including around a thousand dollars for a week's accommodation, what's $19 in the big scheme of things, especially if I can find a good deal that an owner might not advertise elsewhere? Before I pay my membership, I will browse. And if I see something that looks like it will fit my bill, then I will gladly pay the $19 to contact that owner. Again, that's not much in the big scheme of things. Besides, if an inquirer cannot afford $19 for a RedWeek membership, he shouldn't be vacationing anyway.