Report Abuse

Owner won’t transfer reservation until paid in full

[Q=katelynnm] Looking to rent a timeshare. Owner has provided proof of reservations, under his name. But states he won’t change over reservations until paid in full. Is this normal? Should I request it be changed over after the 25% deposit I pay him?[/Q] It is reasonable (it is standard operating procedure, actually) for a timeshare owner to require payment in full before placing a reservation in a tenant's name. A properly prepared rental agreement should address this requirement in very clear and specific detail. Why would any owner do otherwise? After all, his / her annual maintenance fees must be paid in full [b]long[/b] in advance of the usage week. It would be unwise and reckless to place a reservation in someone else's name merely on the basis of a 25% deposit. Even the 25% deposit you mention is low --- most owners (understandably) require 50% as a minimum deposit and understandably will only change the reservation name when the [b]other[/b] 50% is received (and clears). I'm sure you would see it exactly this way if YOU were the owner and roles were reversed.