Report Abuse

The odds are against you...

I am an American citizen and worked as a "closer" for four years at both the Imperial Holiday Club (Casa Maya) , Royal Holiday Club (Cancun Sheraton) and Tucan-cun Beach Club from 1985-1989. I earned on average of $6,000.00 -$7,000.00 US/monthly which at that time was great money considering the peso was at 420. My rent was $500 US/mo. for a 2 bedroom beach front condo in the Hotel Zone KM 7.5. Life was great until Hurricane Gilbert hit in Sept. 1988. Business came to a grinding halt and the developer that I was working for, decided he was only going to pay the Mexican nationals all commissions due and screw everyone else, which he did successfully. Trying to get $4,000.00 US in commissions earned proved to be unsuccessful, so it was time for me to leave. I moved back to the US to attend law school. To make a long story short, timeshare AKA interval ownership, was a great value and was a relatively new vacation alternative. At that time , one week of timeshare sold for $3,500 for a studio, $7,500 for a 1 BD and $10-12K for a 2 BD or Villa. Any week could be exchanged using RCI. The value was all there if one vacationed and a family could legitimately save a lot of money and have a bigger and nicer play to stay in, assuming they took vacations on a yearly basis. All maintenance fees were reasonable at $150-250/week of ownership. As far a being a sales person(aka a "liner") or a manager (aka a "closer")there was no internet available to research the company you were doing business with, no negative feedback to overcome while negotiating, and there was no three day rescission clause in any Mexican contract. Once a customer had signed the contract, there was no cancellation. None. Once the client signed on the dotted line, that was it. Today, the internet has killed timeshare sales with all of the bad PR. Secondly, there is a three day rescission in all foreign contracts. Lastly, many prime weeks at popular resorts can be purchased at huge discounts on the resale market for far less as to what one would pay at the resort itself. These are the things that make selling timeshare in Mexico today, much harder than it used to be. Your success as a timeshare sales person will be your ability to successfully overcome a barrage of objections and get the client to buy TODAY, not tomorrow. Objections or concerns such as 1)I need to think about it 2) I need to go home and talk to my accountant/lawyer 3) I need to talk to my parents/kids 4)My research on the internet tells me never to make a first day buying decision in a foreign country 5) please explain all of the horror stories on the internet regarding timeshare sales in Mexico which there are many 6)why is buying form you today better than buying a resale time share for 1/2 the money in a prime location 7) how often do the maintenance fees go up(which they do all of the time) 8) why is buying a timeshare a better deal when I can book a vacation on line with Expedia (including air fare) for less money. The average timeshare cost per week in 2017 is $19,000 US with a $660/yr maintenance fee. If you buy two weeks, double all prices. In Mexico, owning a timeshare is good for only 30 years as there is no perpetuity. That's right only 30 years. Do the math. Does owning ONE week or TWO weeks of timeshare, adding in the maintenance fees and costs to exchange in RCI plus air fare, a better way to vacation?. Selling an intangible product in a third world country takes a great deal of skill. I watched many sales people who were once successful in other sales professions, fail miserably selling time share. The odds are against you but if you must, give it a try. The resort that hires you will help you with your 6 month work Visa. Speaking Spanish is a great asset but not necessary. The Latin American clientele is much easier to deal with, so speaking Spanish will greatly increase your ability to become successful. Stay safe. Cancun is not as safe as it used to be. The Mexican drug cartels are everywhere and the kidnapping of Americans for ransom happens frequently. This is something the Mexican government does not tell the public about as it does not want to kill its biggest cash cow-tourism. Good luck.