Report Abuse

Manhattan Club Lawsuit

Sue - your advice is not going to help anyone. There are many who have continued to pay their maintenance fees as it was not the timeshare purchasers/owners who committed fraud yet they will be hurt when purchasers cease paying their maintenance fees. There is a legal proposition that to achieve justice, you must come with "clean hands" and when you decide you aren't going to pay something that you have legally contracted to do, you certainly do not have clean hands. An example - you buy a house and get a mortgage from a bank, but then you discover that the house you bought is not what it was represented to be ( maybe there's a mold issue), you can't just stop paying your mortgage because the seller defrauded you by saying the house was in perfect shape. We are all disgruntled and feel deceived but I think it is wrong to suddenly stop paying your assessments. The association has bills to pay and certainly those fees should not be going to the developer (Eichner) who defrauded you - it wasn't the Association of owners who committed the fraud. Your actions would only hurt other timeshare owners and certainly prevent all of us from ever seeing any value above zero for our weeks. Of course, you should do what you feel is right for you. I continue to pay my maintenance fees for 2 penthouse weeks and I also paid to become part of the Zimmerman suit And Chris is correct - you do need to consider your credit rating and other adverse consequences if you suddenly stop paying your maintenance fees.