Report Abuse

We're considering adding Marriott Vacation Club points membership. Pros and cons?

Not sure if you’ve made a decision on purchasing MVC or not; but thought I would share my thoughts from my husband and myself. We purchased a MVC points membership in October of 2016, purchased enough points to have a 7day stay in Hawaii every year.....or so we were told. We returned to Hawaii in 2017 and had to “borrow points” in order to have a vacation. Because we did NOT buy more points at the presentation you’re required to attend each vacation, we were coerced into buying an “Encore Visit” for $2500. Purchasing more points for an additional week would have been $24k. We thought it made sense at the time. Flash forward to the present, 12/17/18; there is no availability at our Hawaii resort until May or June because they are refurbishing a Marriott condo property next door of 500 units, and these people get first dibs on any Marriott property throughout the islands. My husband teaches professional courses for individuals seeking financial security licensing, so he works basically every week, except the week before and after Christmas. We’ve now been told that the likelihood that we would ever get a vacation back to Hawaii during the time my husband has available are slim to none, unless we want to book 3 years out. I understand Hawaii is popular, but availability is not. Our maintenance fees are higher than what a timeshare would be. Looking back, the main reason we bought the MVC points is because with my husband’s travel, we have 500-600k Marriott hotel points. We should have taken more time to think. We are still paying our MVC point program monthly, the annual maintenance fees, and have no vacation!!! My advice would be to look at your cash flow, time schedules and availability for flexibility, before making this commitment. Best of Luck !! [Q=kennethe95] Hi, Redweek folks! My wife and I have (and have seen solid value) from 2 Disney Vacation Club and a Hilton Grand Vacation Club memberships. We're considering adding a Marriott Point membership (~1500 - 2000 points) to get more vacation destination options beyond those two. Our question is: What are the pros and cons of the Marriott program and what you might recommend... and why. Thank you for your kind input.[/Q]