Report Abuse

Clarification / correction needed here...

[Q=johnathans11] RCI is not very efficient at renting all its weeks, so it must look for other sources to make a few extra bucks. However this is not fair to you and me who paid thousands for this exclusivity which now you know is NOT exclusive at all.[/Q] I have no use whatsoever for RCI. I haven't been a RCI member for many years now and I certainly will never join RCI again. That being very clearly stated, let's not forget that RCI doesn't actually "own" any weeks anywhere. Any and every week that RCI advertises, whether directly to their RCI membership or via alternative publicly available avenues, are either weeks previously (and voluntarily) deposited by RCI members or weeks made available to RCI by developers as "excess inventory". The offerings are no better or worse and are essentially the same, regardless of where found advertised. Like many profit seeking (and greedy) businesses, RCI will do whatever it takes to make a buck --- RCI members be damned. While I certainly have no use for RCI, the fact remains that RCI is not to "blame" for people voluntarily choosing to grossly overpay developers (and / or so-called "vacation clubs") for timeshare. Even if their choice to buy in was based upon the many assorted lies, exaggerations and misrepresentations of deceitful sales weasels regarding the supply and ease (and inventory quality) of "exchanging", those lying sales weasels have [b]NO[/b] actual affiliation whatsoever with RCI. Keep in mind too that there are lots of people who paid REASONABLE prices (in the resale market) for their timeshares, having never been gouged by exorbitant developer pricing. Some of those folks, if / when they later choose to use RCI, seem to often be satisfied with their experience (although steadily decreasing availability of quality exchange inventory is a consistent complaint in recent years). Availability of [b]quality[/b] inventory from the other third party avenues you mention is certainly no better; the only real difference is that no RCI membership is required. There is certainly no "exclusivity" associated with RCI membership. If you are dissatisfied with RCI policies, practices, costs and available inventory, I respectfully suggest doing what I and many others have done and continue to do --- vote with your feet and just bid RCI a fond farewell. It seems to me that your real "beef" is (...or should be) with having grossly overpaid a developer for your timeshare in the first place and then later discovering to your obvious chagrin that the sales weasel exaggerations about the joys and availability of "exchanging" were just fairy tales. RCI, for better or worse (...mostly worse) simply "is what it is".