Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: We're considering adding Marriott Vacation Club points membership. Pros and cons? (by Jim F.):

Using MVC points I just booked Maui for a friend. Two weeks in July for a 2bdm. I booked them about 11.5 weeks out. Every other year I book two weeks in St Thomas in February without a problem but you have to do it the first day they are available. So as far as the point system itself it's great. The problem is the cost. To buy enough points to go to STT in Feb you'll have to buy about 3700 points for 7 days. That's over $50,000 plus a $2400 annual MF. Cheaper to rent. My wife is unable to travel now so I'm renting my weeks at Ocean Pointe and St Thomas. I'm renting them easily but not asking much more than the MF.

The pro of buying points is that when they sold weeks you had to buy a whole week. With your 2500 points you can't go to St Thomas in Feb for 7 days. You can go for 4 or five though.They idea with buying points is buy what you can afford and gradually add to it.