Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: rental payment transaction (by Candice and John M.):

adahiscout wrote:
Thank you so much MD for your response. Yes, I read way into responses to educate myself and will definitely do a rental agreement. There are some good ones here to choose from. Thanks for the GOOD idea to NOT put the renters name on the reserv. till all the money is clear...I have just added that to my notes! Lot's to learn but fun and so much good info out here on Redweek! mccabin

======== You are welcome. It occurs to me that one thing you need to be sure of is that the person you rent to understands the number of persons who may inhabit a particular unit. Some resorts are quite particular about this. Renters who want to "overstuff" are also not likely to be considerate of your unit. (And in the last analysis, you are responsible.) I liked a contract JayJay posted because it required them to enumerate the persons coming. In some cases, it is also helpful to know ages genders, and relationships even if you don't know names. It certainly helps YOU to make a realistic unit recommendation! Sometimes it is like pulling teeth to get all the necessary information out of people.

Folks looking for a place to rent may be dealing with a number of owners at the same time and you may be dealing with more than one potential renter. It is a good idea to put a time limit on offers and counter offers, so that you don't find yourself hanging on to your unit for someone who has rented elsewhere without letting you know.

Last year I had a valuable Daytona week and sent a standard contract to a potential renter for her inspection and/or action. She had offered less than my asking price and I had made a counter offer. Time passed with no response in spite of e-mai queries from me and a looming check-in date. I finally gave up and accepted another bid. Thought it was common courtesy to let her know. AND SHE WAS MAD! Even though she never agreed to a price or even acknowledge having received the contract! (Were the contract and check in the mail? Heck, no, or I would have felt badly.) MD

MD, Once again thanks for your helpful input. I have been working on a rental contract for a couple days now...looked over several found on these forums and we have typed one up we feel pretty comfortable with. I did put and area in there for MAX # of guests, but now with your suggestion may need to ask for age groups...how many adults, how many children, etc. The Maui Ocean Club does have restrictions on # of occupants...the 2BR 3Bath has a max of 8 or there will be penalities!

Also, we like the idea of a time clause for completing the rental....maybe give 'em 2 weeks to get the agreement signed and back to us or it is off?? We have put a date when the final payment is due...60 days b/4 rental time.

We have owned there for 6 yrs and love it...this is our first time for renting out a unit! yikes it can be scary! mccabin