Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Resort converting to points (by KC):

ilonar2 wrote:
mike1536 wrote:
ken1193 wrote:
tracyf38 wrote:
My resort is Falls of Ogunquit, in Maine. He didn't specify if it was RCI or II. He referenced II in his presentation but seemed able to use both systems.

There is no II points system, so it must be presumed to be a conversion to RCI Points. The resort could still, however, be (and remain) affiliated with BOTH companies merely for exchange purposes.

Are you quite certain and VERY clear on whether or not you MUST convert your fixed week to points? My advice is to acquire a very clear and specific understanding on that critically important detail. If you don't HAVE to convert --- then don't!. Why on earth would you want to buy all over again that which you ALREADY own???? And lose your guarantted fixed week in the process! That's nuts, at least in my view.

The conversion may not be MANDATORY --- you need to find that out for certain! The sales weasel may simply be failing to disclose to you that you do NOT actually have to convert if you don't CHOOSE to do so. Find out for certain!

=========== Currently The Falls of Ogunquit is not listed in the RCI online directory. Maybe the resort has just started to be affiliated with RCI will be a points resort in the future. I agree with Ken, the conversion should not be mandatory. However, if the resort drops its affiliation with Interval International and you might need to convert if you wish to exchange with RCI.

I own a TS, in New Hampshire, which is affiliated with II. However, they just recently aligned itself with RCI as well and are slowly converting to points. New owners are not being given the option of choosing II or RCI; they have to go with RCI. Current owners can remain with II.

If you usually stay at your unit every year or are happy with II for exchanges, then stick with what you have for now. Good Luck

------------------------------------------------

The Falls at Ogunquit is part of InnSeasons Resorts, which is the largest timeshare group in New England. The points are internal points which convert within the InnSeasons network. There are, I believe, 9 resorts in New England that you can exchange through. And yes, I believe this conversion is mandatory. Hope this info helps!

You may well be correct, but I'm puzzled by a few things: 1. Original poster iondicated that the resort is "using both weeks and points" (or words to that effect). Doesn't this inherently imply that conversion is not necessarily mandatory? How can both weeks and points co-exist simultaneously if conversion is mandatory?

2. If conversion is mandatory, how can the resort charge money for a forced, involuntary conversion to an internal system? If the person already owns the week already, and the conversion to an internal point system is mandatory, I just can't fathom how the resort (or Inn Seasons) can force the owner to re-buy what she already owns to begin with.

I'm not saying you observations are wong (I certainly have no personal knowledge whatsoever on which to possibly say so), but it all sounds truly bizarre to me --- an "in house" points system where the points use is evidently limited (if I understand correctly) to just a handful of Inn Seasons resorts, loss of a week already owned, and paying thousnads of dollars for the privilege of being taken advantage of... Say it ain't so!