New to timeshares

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

RedWeek valuations... (by KC):

robertj384 stated in relevant part: >> Yes, same resort, same week, just the unit is different. My first experience with this, and it gives me a bad feeling. I am offering up so much more, and receiving about a third less in points. Somehow, this leaves me with the impression that RedWeek is somehow overly profiting from this.<< =================================================

I must respectfully disagree with your final conclusion, although I do not represent RedWeek in any way and it is not my role to defend them. That clearly stated, RedWeek valuations have, in my opinion, thus far demonstrated some troubling inconsistencies --- in BOTH directions (not just undervalued, but OVERvalued as well).

My own belief is that because the RedWeek exchange program is relatively new (not too much more than a year old now) there are still some "growing pains" and "learning curves" yet to be resolved. I also think that some "early advance deposit" submissions have received some VERY (i.e., overly) generous valuations.

RedWeek has never actually indicated at any time that their exchange "points currency" was or is intended to reflect or represent a "one dollar per one point" value. Nonetheless, many people have made that interpretation and conclusion on their own (personally, I'm not at all sure). Yet, it certainly does seem (at least to me, anyhow) that RedWeek has sometimes assigned point values based almost exclusively upon advertised private rental figures at some resorts --- figures which are usually considerably lower than "open market" rental figures for that same resort. I know, just as one example, that I was offered 800 points for a prime 1BR winter week in a waterfront Florida resort which routinely (and easily) rents out that same week out for $1100. If you accept the "dollar per point" thesis, this "points" offer is 37% below "market value" but rare private rental ads for this facility are found, lo and behold, for $800. Is the "match" of 800 points and $800 private (discounted) rental rate just a coincidence? This is a facility where "exchangers" can rarely find ANY availability through ANY exchange company and rare winter rental weeks get snapped up promptly at $1100 (...maybe not as promptly in this current economy).

I also believe that the RedWeek exchange program, really only still in its infancy, has also OVERvalued submitted weeks (including some of mine), presumably to help expand their somewhat limited inventory. Again, if you accept the "dollar per point" thesis, I have seen submitted valuations of some of my own weeks which EXCEED the actual "dollar value" of an "open market" rental for that particular week at that particular resort.

In short, I believe the RedWeek exchange system model to be honest, "up front" and transparent, all of which is certainly both good and desirable. However, I also believe that RedWeek accuracy and consistency in valuations is still something of a "work in progress".

Just my subjective opinion and conclusions, based upon my own comparative observations and knowledge of rental rates at a handful of specific resorts with which I have been personally very familiar for many years now.