Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

"Value" (by KC):

tracey75 wrote:
There are basically 2 types of timeshares that actually have monetary value in terms of selling. One would be a points timeshare with a well known respected hotel based company where the ratio between points and MF are good. The second would be a property that can easily rent out for around 2 times or more the MF's. So if your MF is $1000 but you can easily rent it out for $2000 or more there will be resale value.

Having been associated with timeshare use and ownership for nearly 35 years now, I must respectfully disagree a bit with some of the above. I have no comment on the points input above, as I have no involvement with ANY points-based systems.

I own a handful of desirable, high demand, fixed weeks at several different (independent, no "chain" affiliation) resorts, all purchased in the resale market. I bought and own these weeks to use them, not to rent them out or to operate a "business". Any and all of these desirable weeks could be very easily re-sold for what I paid for them (and likely little more than that). On those rare occasions when we can't use our weeks, I easily rent them out --- but certainly NOT for "two times or more the maintenance fees". "Two times or more the maintenance fee amount" is both unrealistic and overly optimistic, EXCEPT perhaps in Hawaii (where we do not own). Far more often than not, in my experience and observation at our independent resorts, 150% of the maintenance fee amount would be at the high end of most private rentals conducted with an owner, with many such private rentals being for 125% -- 135% of the annual maintenance fee amount.

Not seeking to argue, merely offering some very different input and observations based upon my own several decades of personal experience.

That being said, the harsh reality of the marketplace is that low demand weeks and / or weeks in low demand locations may have no rental or resale value AT ALL and sadly, sometimes can't even be given away for free.