Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Timeshare in Mexico... (by KC):

wanderings states, quoted in pertinent parts:

>> Today, the internet has killed timeshare sales with all of the bad PR. <<

Stated and viewed another way, the Internet has enabled people to become better informed in advance and less susceptible to "smoke and mirrors" or lies and deceit ---*IF* they make the effort to do some homework BEFORE parading into those sales presentations. What you refer to as "bad PR" could instead be described as "facts and the truth being exposed". It could be very easily argued that those who STILL march in and sign on the dotted line without ever having done ANY homework beforehand simply fulfill the old adage that "A fool and his money are soon parted". God helps those who help themselves...

Additionally, even the notoriously weak laws in Mexico now require that anyone executing a timeshare contract be advised, in writing at the time of contract execution, of their legal right to cancel (rescind) that contract within 5 days, with full refund of any deposit paid and without any penalty or negative consequences. No longer does a "signature on the bottom line" mean that it's a "done deal" right then and there.

> In Mexico, owning a timeshare is good for only 30 years as there is no perpetuity. <

More accurately stated, there is really no "owning" a timeshare in Mexico at all. You don't actually own ANYTHING when you sign a timeshare contract in Mexico. You own absolutely NOTHING. A "right to use" (aka RTU) contract merely provides annual ACCESS for a defined period of time --- nothing more --- and still carries with it the additional burden and obligation to pay maintenance fees in each year of use after contract execution.

>> Selling an intangible product in a third world country takes a great deal of skill. <<

Stated another way, selling timeshare RTU contracts in Mexico takes a willingness to deceive, exaggerate and misrepresent the truth to whatever extent is necessary to peddle a "product" which is inherently worthless --- and still "seal the deal" anyhow. I guess it's your prerogative to call that a "skill", but other less flattering descriptions come to mind. The entire sales process of "pitching heat" relies heavily upon the validity of that old saying which states....."A fool and his money are soon parted".

The above relevant points of observation aside, I have enjoyed reading your interesting history and I appreciate the effort made to post it (although paragraphs would have made for easier reading). Your personal experience was apparently nearly 30 years ago now, but your input still provides an interesting insight into the practices (and prices) from that long ago time period.

Personally, I wouldn't take a Mexican RTU timeshare contract for free, with $5,000 cash also handed to me right along with it (I'd maybe think about it for $10,000 cash), but to each their own. Clearly, people continue to exercise their free will and voluntarily choose to "sign on the dotted line" and....well....get "parted" from their money (see previous "fool" reference above).

Renting timeshares in Mexico (or "exchanging" into Mexican timeshares) is easy and relatively inexpensive; just as it is in Orlando or Las Vegas --- in all those instances timeshares are readily available and basically "a dime a dozen". Renting or "exchanging" there requires NO initial "buy in" and requires NO long term financial commitments or obligations.