Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Bad Experience with RCI (by R P.):

lanitap wrote:
I agree with Mike, when I make a trade I do it 1 to 2 years in advance and am not picky. I usually ask for several locations (i.e. for next Christmas I asked for VT,Canada,MA,Wisconsin Dells,VA,PA) and usually always search with 3 or more locations and a wide range of dates. I got Hawaii this year while calling and checking on an ongoing search and said "Do you have any unit in Hawaii anytime in the next 2 years?" I got lucky and secured a week in August of this year. Oh, I am also using a studio, blue week for all of my searches. I do have friends that have complained and when I tell them to do it this way they are usually rather successful. Before my friend would ask for a specific place and specific resorts and search within 3 - 6 months from travel dates.

lanitap, you also know how to play the exchanging game, congrats :o). Having several location options and dates and performing ongoing searches helps tremendously when requesting an exchange and doing so a year or more in advance is key for hard to get places.

Most people don't care to plan that far in advance for an exchange, but experienced timesharers know that good exchanges (low supply - high demand areas) are snapped up very quckly.

I don't believe anything will change in the future as long as you continue doing what you have in the past. It's all about knowing how to play the game.

I remember when we first got into timesharing I wanted something in Key West (1) or SW Florida (2) in May. I didn't begin my search very far in adance (maybe 3-5 months). Of course, nothing was available in Key West (low supply - high demand) and only one non-rated resort was available in SW Florida (Bonita Beach), which we took although we were exchanging a gold crown resort for a non rated resort. I then figured out that the key was to deposit very early and start looking for what I wanted. BTW, this was several years ago so I really don't think much has changed.