Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Buying a timeshare at Vacation Village at Parkway (by Mike N.):

janellen4 wrote:
Thank you for your responses everyone. We are currently looking at a posting on one of the many sites that is for a "floating" week. Now correct this newbie if my perception is wrong. A floating week means that I can go anyweek if I book plenty of time in advance? Or is it better to have a fixed week?

Mike - see this is where I get confused with all the talk about points...isn't that what RCI does, alot your week a certain number of points...or does each resort also have a point system?

=========== A floating week doesn’t necessarily mean you can go any week during the year. A resort may have various floating week periods. For example, a resort may have a period of floating weeks that cover non-peak periods. These usually cost less and are perfect for retirees or couples with young or no children. I own at a resort in NH that has four different floating week periods A, B, C, and D. The ‘D’ period allows an owner to book any week of the year, while the ‘A’ period allows an owner to book only one of thirteen weeks of the year. I’ve heard some resorts do not allow floating week owners to book certain prime weeks, such as Christmas, as these are reserved for fixed week owners. Keep in mind that units that have usage restrictions will cost less, but they may have less trading or renting power. Just be sure to find out if there are any floating week restrictions before you buy. I like floating week for the flexibility; others like fixed weeks because they like to travel to the same location at the same time each year. Fixed weeks are also good if you don’t like to go through the hassle of remembering to call the resort to book a floating week.

As for your second question the answer is yes to both parts. Some resorts like Sunterra have their own point system. RCI allocates the points for Vacation Village at Parkway and you as an RCI member use those points towards vacations. I previously mentioned that you should be sure the unit is part of the Points system, and not part of the traditional "weeks" system. I say this because if a unit was previously a traditional “weeks” unit, the resort would’ve charged the owner $$ to convert to points. If the owner resells the unit, it MIGHT revert back to weeks, whereby you would have to pay again to reconvert back to points. Just want to caution you to check out that situation. If you have any specific RCI Points questions, you can do a search of the RedWeek site or feel free to contact me at mgnacn1@yahoo.com.

Good Luck