Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Buying a timeshare at Vacation Village at Parkway (by R P.):

claudiuc wrote:
claudiuc wrote:
lancec13 wrote:
claudiuc wrote:
Hi,

I bought a timeshare at Vacation Village at Parkway from one of the sales presentations. At the time, I thought I was getting a good deal since the sales person told me that I was getting a deed that is worth ~$23k for only $18k and change. After doing a bit of research once I returned from my trip, I realized that I may not have gotten such a deal since I don't have a floating week that I can choose every year. I have the same week every year, though I can change it through the internal exchange program for any other week. Also, this is a weeks system and not points system. I assume that I can't choose to have stays shorter than 7 days, like I would be able with a points system.

Lastly, the other reason I thought I did the right thing by buying from the developer is because I was offered an Extra Vacations program, whereby I get an extra 2 weeks to use in the RCI system. The only catch I believe is that these 2 weeks, unlike the ones bought through the developer are subject to various limitation on season and units to use.

I have a few days left in which I can cancel my contract and I would like to gather enough facts to help me decide whether getting out of the contract is a good idea.

Thanks, Confused Buyer

If you are still within your rescission period (10 days for FL), rescind like your life depends on it! Follow the rescission instructions to the letter including what type of method to deliver your rescission letter.

Rescind, rescind, rescind!

Timeshare sales people lie like you would not believe. NEVER buy a timeshare straight from the developer.

There is absolutely no way on God's green earth that a VV@P timeshare (in Orlando at that) is worth $18000. Many owners of timeshares in the Orlando area are having trouble even giving away their timeshares.

Hi lancec13,

Thank you so much for your timely response. I will send in my cancellation notice tomorrow asap.

What are some recommended ways in which to buy into timeshares so I can avoid this bad experience next time? Are certain resorts better than others as far as getting the best bang for the buck? I heard most resorts in the Orlando area are a safe bet.

I'm not Lance but I will try and answer your question ..... the old saying from the pros is to never buy in Orlando since it's such an easy trade .... buy elsewhere and trade into Orlando, however if you want to go to Orlando every year and are not interested in trading then I would buy in Orlando.

Always buy on the resale market as you're getting the exact same product as a developer purchase for pennies on the dollar. As for a recommendation, there's no easy answer .... it depends on your needs as an individual .... do you prefer same week, same unit every year ..... or do you prefer floating ..... do you prefer being in a points system.

To tell you the truth if I were to ever get back into timesharing I would buy into a points system for the flexibility, but I know absolutely nothing about the different point systems and would have to study up on all of them. When we owned we owned fixed weeks.

You can look in Redweek's or Tug's bargain basement for some fantastic deals .... also look for timeshares on Ebay for some great deals (many timeshares are being given away in this economy).