Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Now how do I make my exchange?? (by Phil L.):

paull152 wrote:
I may not have been clear....what the RCI rep said was that I now have to request my deposit directly with my resort. Apparently El Moro has told RCI that they will handle their own banking of weeks. RCI says that once I call Mexico and request a week be banked, that it will still be done through RCI. Then, supposedly, I'll have a week banked and begin the exchange process as usual.

I might be way off base on your resort but have heard of some resorts pulling this over the last few years.

This does hurt the owner and your exchanging power too!

The resorts that pull this seem to have highly wanted weeks like summer beach or winter skiiing months. Other months slower like the old blue weeks or swing seasons.

What has happened was you have Labor Day Week or other Holiday that resort is booked up and the resort gets nothing by you renting or exchanging it. This way you book through your resort and have top week but the resort keeps that week to rent out for profit or (if honest gives it to another owner that wants to use it) gives Rci a off week like a Blue week or what ever Rci calls them now days.

Think of it as Holiday/Summer/Winter Weeks are full and off season weeks you have a third or half full. Now they can maybe fill up those weeks through Rci and not be half empty. A full resort makes more money than a half empty week.

Now even though you thought you were making a strong deposit now turns into one of the weakest deposits and you find you can not get resorts you wanted.Of coarse dealing with Rci its hard to know what goes on with exchanges!

One reason that some (honest) resorts give is true though and that is you have owners asking for top weeks and can not get them because some owners grabbed the weeks with plans on renting. They take these weeks while owners who really want to stay that week can not get in.

Other is they are grabbing best weeks for strong exchange and again many owners that just want to stay in their own resort can not get those weeks.

Before some one on here jumps on the owners can do anything they want because they own and this is true,this is just away to make it fair for all owners.

If you own at a honest resort then many owners might have complained of never getting holiday weeks or summer/winter weeks and resort trying to take care of owners who really do want to use the week themselves and not make money. The resort might have just been running a check on how many owners staying during these weeks and found they have very few while having complaints from other owners of not being able to get these weeks.

We have owners meeting every Tue so every week owners can see updates in the planning or share complaints and I can tell you the Ridge takes these meeting very serious and not only listens and answers but follows up!

I know our resort in Lake Tahoe does have the right to change a unit if you rented it and give to another owner. Our Naegle summer units have three buildings and resort can make a change to any of the three buildings if at anytime they wanted to.

Because we own two units we pick our week 24 months out while single unit owners pick 23 months out so we get most of our choices every year and have used them for our family. There are other owners that would love to get our July Fourth week and building we chose. If the week was exchanged or rented the resort could switch the unit and give a owner our unit if they had tried to get it before.

They will change the unit once in a while if a owner had asked for say building 12 high floor. We have three buildings and 12 seems to be best view so they have made this move and renter might be in building 10 or 11 which is still very nice.

In the case of our Ridge Tahoe they do try and take care of their owners and this is why many like ourselves own more than one week or building.

PHILL12