New to timeshares

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

RedWeek valuations... (by KC):

mike1536 related in part: >>...I listed my unit for rent with Redweek, but I price it very competetively (enough to get my MF plus a small % extra). So by pricing my unit low, I'm "shooting myself in the foot" and lowering the valuation for the exchange. <<

I have observed and have personally experienced exactly the same thing, subsequently declining to deposit.

>> Seeing RedWeek is based out West, I don't think the staff in the exchange department really understands the value of Eastern Timeshares<<

Perhaps that's true to some degree, Mike. However, with Dial an Exchange behind the scenes as infrastructure for the RedWeek exchange program, it would seem that there would be some experienced institutional knowledge there to call upon in assigning valuations. Then again, maybe DAE itself, being a small exchange company (compared to the other "Two Titans"), ALSO has limited knowledge, experience and expertise regarding the actual value of (and demand for) Eastern timeshares in peak periods of high demand.

One issue of concern to me if RedWeek is arbitrarily using a few, isolated private rental figures to formulate a "value benchmark" (as I believe they are doing, at least in SOME instances) is that as owners reduce their rental figures downward on a "one time" basis during tough economic times, just to cover their expenses in an "off" year, those (temporarily) reduced figures may somehow become permanently "adopted" as stigmatized (but generally inaccurate) values. I certainly hope that isn't the case --- to do so "...just ain't right."