Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Ripoff - Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Program - New Point System (by Charles S.):

I am not even going to go into the amount of one owner paying more than another. I believe the points program is more expensive for new owners and that deeded owners have the better deal. I don't believe there will be many people who can afford over 4000 points that it takes to stay in a Hawaii property. Frankd, is unhappy because he received good deals that are not as available now. It used to be that one could take a low demand season in the Marriott system and stay during high demand times in nice Marriott's. I can understand that being a bummer. It was a nice perk, an extra. Well, sometimes perks have to go away usually because of necessity. I have read on some forums that those did not seem fair.

I believe Marriott was already looking at other programs and realizing that through points they were losing out on money. I belong to Diamond Resorts and their system allows them to recycle points to do their exchange program. You must go through their Club program. I understand Disney has a points program too. So Marriott had to be thinking they were missing out.

In my opinion I just don't think owners should be betrayed because Marriott to Marriott exchanges are more difficult. When you were offered the world, you were given the Interval International book that had more than just Marriott properties. I believe that the Marriott Rewards points program is used more to sell properties more than the exchange system. Marriott sells. Shadow Ridge although a nice property but not like my Ko Olina property gets more points in its platinum season than my Ko Olina property. I remember the salesman trying to sell me how I can get rewards points every year to stay around the world in hotels. Here is where I would feel betrayed, because you actually sign paperwork that says you will receive a certain amount of reward points each year or every other year. However, on that same piece of paper it clearly states that Marriott can discontinue the Marriott's Rewards program. So you could be forced to deal with a change that you don't want there too.

I believe that instead of feeling betrayed, either face the fact that you need to exchange through II and realize you may not get a Marriott or join the DC program or stay at your home resort. The analogy above about the BMW six cylinder being down graded to a four cylinder is not similar to this. You bought and signed up for that six cylinder up front. It is stated on the contract from the beginning. Your timeshare only states you get the timeshare, no more no less. I have seen some real pluses to the DC program like availability during the holiday season. So don't rush to judgment on Marriott so quickly.