Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Ripoff - Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Program - New Point System (by Charles S.):

Bobp223,

I can assure you that I am not STUPID and most certainly not a SHILL. However, I do know how to respond respectfully and objectively to comments of others. I guess I just happen to have benefitted from good breeding and a quality education that helps me to not spew forth ignorance.

I was looking at this from a different lens. First, we don't know what the original poster (OP) was looking for when he bought his ownership. He may have desired the flexibility of less than a week, the tours, cruises and exchanges to different properties instead of having a home resort. This is what he was sold. He was sold something totally different than you and I. That may be perfect for him. Who are we to say that it's wrong if that's what he wanted.

Can he buy resale? Absolutely. However, he may not want to go to the same resort every year? He may not want to be forced to use II and only have access to limited opportunities in their system for Marriott for weeks units. He may want to have access to any new resorts that Marriott places into the trust. He may want all that the points program has to offer him.

It is a legitimate program. You cannot debate that. Can he buy a unit resale for less? Yes, but if resales are limited in their use in the Marriott system. He will not be able to put it into the new points system because it is after the June 2010 date. Yes, he can use it to exchange with II, but that's it.

I acknowledged that he paid significantly more than what we did. I was being nice by saying over $65,000 knowing it was $10.94 per point. I thought they may have given him a break or something. He will not be able to get all that was offered to him with a resale. He has to make that decision for himself. There are lots of legacy owners that I have read on this board, TUG, and Timeshareforums that like the points program. Just because you may not wish to participate in it does not mean that it's not for everyone.

I still have not joined myself, but will because I believe that there are some advantages to it that I think I will be able to take advantage of within it. Also, I not only own Marriott but I also own another timeshare system that is points based and there are some great advantages that I like with that one. I love my Marriott, but I also love my points based system.

I would urge you to not be rude in your shortsightedness. I did not put you on blast because I am not wired that way. Let this person review their decision and see what works for them.