Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Ripoff - Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Program - New Point System (by Art D.):

dennish144 wrote:
I believe there are about 400,000 Marriott Vacation Club owners and there are a few on this forum who are trying to steer the ship. These parties complain about a contract they signed and never bothered to read, about mgmt fees increasing to maintain their interests, etc. and only demonstrate their foolishness.

A challenge, please show us a vacation program that is better than Vacation Club. Incidentally, the program must still be around and serving it's owners.

Dennis

Dennis, any vacation program is not a "one-size-fits-all".  It is good for you if you are retired and have a half a dozen grandchildren.  Therefore, I would say unless you are one... do not buy into it.  Here is another great post from tug:

" I hear lots of "lifestyle" arguments in favor of buying VC points. "Yeah, it's a bit expensive, but you can lock in irreplaceable access to the best places at the best time." Well, I've done a little homework on that "irreplaceable" argument, working with Ko Olina (my home resort). Its ultra premium periods, corresponding point costs for 2BR mountain view and ocean view, Marriott rental costs, Redweek rental costs and points costs are respectively: ------------------------MV OV------Marriott Rental---Redweek Rental----Real cost of points  Spring Break (4/22):-----4800 6025--$404*/442*------$243/271----------$597/759 Thanksgiving:-----------4800 6025--$536^/526#------ $314/543(3BR)----$597/749 Christmas:--------------4800 6025--$569^/619^------$414/426----------$597/749 New Year's:-------------5500 6875--$484#N/A--------$314/429---------$684

* = MOD Discount, #Advance Purchase, ^ Leisure Rate Note that in every case, renting directly from Marriott yields significant savings over buying points.

Real cost for points is derived by the $.40/point maintenance fee plus a calculation for what the investment could reasonably yield if not given to Marriott. I have used a figure of just under 5%, which is available right now (one example being a Goldman Sachs 6.75% bond of 2037, A2/A- rated, yielding 6.89% to maturity). Even after taxes, this bond (widely available) will d exchange points (but that's a minimum of 1500 points, remember), new points look like a truly terrible deal."

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135300&page=4

Cheers! Olga