Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Marriott Destination Club Points transfer process and required fees (by Jeremy T):

I suggest you read the DC Exchange Procedures document; especially section D, page 13 titled Effect of Transfer of Member’s Interest. Here is the link to that document.

https://www.my-vacationclub.com/common/vc/en-us/pdfs/enrollment_legal_docs/exchange_procedures.pdf

This is a snippet from that section. "If the purchase of an Interest is not made from an Approved Broker, then the owner of such Interest(s) may not be entitled to Special Benefits in Exchange Company’s sole discretion, even if the initiation fee is paid."

As you can see, they are not implementing this on a whim, this or similar language has been contained in the Exchange Procedures since they launched DC in June 2010. I do agree that it a very restrictive policy that other companies simply don't have.

One other person on TUG reported buying resale DC points and not having the restriction in place. They indicated that their resale points were just folded in to their other developer points and they did not have any restrictions on use. The only issue they had was related to different use years of their resale and retail points.

There is a post on TUG where someone asked MVCI Customer Advocate about resale points and were told that there were no restrictions as long as the initiation fee was paid.

It was believed early on however that MVCI simply didn't have a systemic way to enforce these restrictions. So the system wasn't able to discern between resale and retail points. Perhaps they have updated their systems to now be able to place the restrictions that are written in to their documentation.