Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Response to Irene P 59's Last Post (by Irene P.):

Lance, Vacation Village does not take any threat seriously. I always advise owners to respond to communication from their resort rather than just stop paying. However, unless you have a medical or financial documented hardship, so far VV owners have been left with no choice but to default, although with brute determination, some have been released. I have heard from many VV people. Karl in Nova Scotia was terrified of defaulting, even living in a foreign country. He was worried because his wife's career could be in jeopardy with negative credit reporting, even just on maintenance fees. Another owner that was dismissed with "Find a buyer" provided information that VV default rate has increased from $5 million to $17 million. Karl tried to do the right thing, but with no medical or financial hardship, he defaulted and has had no regrets. He sent the appropriate correspondence. https://tarda.org/f/canadian-snowbirds-stuck-with-us-timeshares These timeshare were all sold as being "just like real estate" so easy to sell. One attorney said that if those held hostage for the rest of their lives, paying for a timeshare that they can't use or don't want, if they keep paying they are rewarding unethical corporate behavior. So much for ARDA's Responsible Exit, problem solved! I sat behind Kenneth McKelvey, ARDA-ROC chairman testifying at a Florida legislative workshop in 2019, "All resorts have a responsible exit! I've been in this business for 30 years! All resorts have a dissolution policy!" Well, that was totally false. I can name about a dozen that either will not take the timeshare back under any circumstances, or charges so much it is unfeasible. Alpenland in Illinois wanted to charge a senior with debilitating health issues $6,000 to take back the timeshare he used once in 1985. He ended up negotiating $1,500. The games we play.