Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Be careful about taking advice from the Timeshare Users Group (TUG) (by Lance C.):

janec244 wrote:
Can anyone suggest a reliable, honest company to help me out of my timeshare....no upfront fees?

First, I'll echo Don P's comment about not paying any company any large, upfront money to get you out of your timeshare. Most will just take your money and do nothing. Others will questionably get you "out" using unscrupulous or illegal means (viking ship for example). Others will charge you thousands of dollars to do what you can do yourself with a little time and effort.

Some questions. Do you owe anything on the mortgage or maintenance fees? Make sure those are up-to-date.

If it is with Wyndham, Diamond, or Westgate, then keep in mind that these companies are offering to take back a select, limited number of units for a fee. If it is not with any of these, then try contacting your resort's Homeowners' Association (not someone at the front desk) and ask if they will take your unit back. Be firm and let them know that you will not be paying any more money in maintenance fees so it would be in everybody's best interests for the HOA to take back the unit amicably. They might ask you to pay closing costs and maybe even the next maintenance fee. But that would work out to a lot less than what these get-out-of-your-timeshare companies charge you. And you will do a sure, clean transfer without the "help" of any questionable third party.

The other suggestion that gets mentioned here is to try advertising your unit for "sale" here on RedWeek. You can also try advertising on My Resort Network, Craigslist, E-Bay, or Timeshare Users Group (ironically, the title of this thread). Timeshare Users Group (aka "TUG"; tugbbs.com) has a Bargain Deals section where you can advertise for free that you want to give away your unit. You might want to stipulate that you will pay closing costs and maybe even the next maintenance fee. Again, this will work out to a lot cheaper than paying any questionable "exit" company.