renting timeshare

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: renting timeshare (by Monica S.):

Thank you for the thorough information. You explained it very well. Monica

ken1193 wrote:
monicas23 wrote:
Can someone tell me where I may find the information regarding the the risks involved with Renting a week on Red Week. Also I would be interested in the tips which would help me with this project. It is four families that want to be in the same place at the same time.

I've owned a handful of timeshare weeks for several decades now, occasionally renting some out (via RedWeek) but most often using them ourselves. I've been a RedWeek member for over ten years, will offer a few thoughts and observations:

Timeshares advertised for rent on RedWeek are owned by different, individual people with no connection to one another. Some owners allow RedWeek to handle all details for them, some owners handle their own rental agreements. The big "chains" (like Wyndham, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton, etc.) are not advertising rentals on RedWeek; only individuals are doing so ---- and not all of those individuals advertise their weeks at the same time (or at the same price). My intended point is that you are going to have great difficulty finding and / or "locking in" FOUR separate rental weeks, ALL advertised simultaneously, and ALL of them available at the SAME place for the SAME week, with ALL of them being multi-bedroom units able to accommodate a family. Statistically speaking, four separate but simultaneous transactions fulfilling all of your requirements is a very tough bill to fill.

To find what you seem to be looking for, you might just end up having to contact individual resorts or management companies in order to find four separate multi-bedroom units all available at the very same facility at the very same time. Unfortunately, renting directly from the resorts always means much higher cost (generally at least 25% more, often much more than that) than comparable rentals being offered "privately" by individual timeshare owners.

The good news is that because RedWeek requires paid membership to place (or to respond to) timeshare ads, you are generally assured of dealing with trustworthy advertisers with identities already disclosed and known to RedWeek --- a very beneficial feature which simply does NOT exist on some other advertising sites (like Craigslist, or eBay). That said, your high hurdle will be finding four multi-bedroom units at the same place at the same time and securing ALL FOUR rentals at the same time, all at similar rental prices. Not impossible, but not easy to accomplish.

Anyway, good luck with your rental search.