Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Important details missing... (by KC):

harryk67 wrote:
I know not to get a timeshare but I caved for my wife(at the time) and we got it. A year or two later we divorced and I was stuck with it. It's paid off and I'm tired of paying the yearly fee of about$500. I've tried selling it. I've asked them to take it back and sell the junk to someone else.....I'd just sign it back over to them. Is there any way to get out of the damn thing!?

WHOSE NAME(S) is / are on the current deed??? That's what really matters here.

If it's both of your names and you did not get the timeshare deeded into one or the other name alone at the time of divorce, then it will now require both of you to sign off on anything that you do with the timeshare now or anytime in the future , whether that be sale, giveaway or deedback. Good luck with that if the ex is still alive and doesn't choose to cooperate. Divorce doesn't make either name (or the equally shared financial responsibility) magically "disappear"; there needs to be preparation and recording of a whole new deed in either one or the other name. If that important detail was overlooked by inattentive lawyers in the course of your divorce proceedings, then equal co-ownership (and equal financial and legal responsibility) remains firmly in place and fully intact today, like it or not.