Timeshare Companies

raintree vacation club

Aug 24, 2013

We did not pay our mainenance fee this year as we are sick of Club Regina (Raintree now). They have a collection agency after us. Blackwell something or other. I could care less about the collection agency. They call 2-3 times a day. I just want out and was considering the Raintree 7 but knowing them I think it is just another scam! Don't really know where to go from here. If anyone can enlighten me, please do..

kathleenb155 wrote:
We are walking away too. You have to live thru the "collection calls". (They are all out of Mexico with heavy accents. I think it is just Raintree calling.) Look on Complaintsboard.com for more updated info. Several have walked away. It is in contract that if you do not pay for 2 yrs you are clear. Raintree will stalk you until the 2 yrs is up but from what I have read there is no damage to credit, etc. There is no working with the crooks. Doug Bech needs to be in jail!

Karen K.
Aug 24, 2013

If you tell the collection agency to stop calling you they have to stop calling you. That's the law.

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Aug 24, 2013 03:47 PM

Aug 25, 2013

karenk635 wrote:
We did not pay our mainenance fee this year as we are sick of Club Regina (Raintree now). They have a collection agency after us. Blackwell something or other. I could care less about the collection agency. They call 2-3 times a day. I just want out and was considering the Raintree 7 but knowing them I think it is just another scam! Don't really know where to go from here. If anyone can enlighten me, please do..

Register with and put them on the DoNotCall list here:

https://www.donotcall.gov/

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Aug 25, 2013 07:59 AM

Sep 15, 2013

Upon receiving the first assessment in 2009, I just quit paying the Annual fee. Had 2 collection letters and immediately responded to them stating that I will not pay, and haven't heard from them for over 8 months. No phone calls either and no hit to my Credit Report. Either my "Refusal to Pay" letters were pretty convincing - or the collection agency was only hoping that it could use fear tactics to scare a small percentage of Raintree owners into paying back accumulated Annual Fees. I had my purchase paid in full, was able to use it a total of 5 times, so I just wrote it off as a loss and let them pound sand. Anyone who actually believes that this company is anything more than a scam probably also still believes they will be able to keep their doctor under Obamacare! Just accept the loss, don't make more annual fee payments, but DO respond to any Collection Letters since a non-response will taken as an acknowledgement that you owe the money.

Raintree S.
Nov 06, 2013

Where in contract does it say that you are not liable after two years of not paying fees? Please let me know. Thanks.

Nancy D.
Jan 07, 2014

It is on my contract too. That with non payment of annual fees for two consecutive years you loose membership. I have paid the full purchase price but have have been unable to exchange the two weeks for the past three years. Maintenance fees have risen to around $1400. When I spoke to a member service person about the two year clause she told me they definitely will send a collecting agency after you and inform credit bureaus. I have no recourse but to hire a lawyer. I also filed a complaint with BBB in Las Vegas ,Nevada. This company has an F rating. No surprise there. Good luck to everyone trying to get rid of this.

Grace L.
Jan 20, 2014

HI You posted last November,any news? thank You

Daniel P.
Jun 12, 2014

Have you anything further from their "collection agency"

raintrees wrote:
Upon receiving the first assessment in 2009, I just quit paying the Annual fee. Had 2 collection letters and immediately responded to them stating that I will not pay, and haven't heard from them for over 8 months. No phone calls either and no hit to my Credit Report. Either my "Refusal to Pay" letters were pretty convincing - or the collection agency was only hoping that it could use fear tactics to scare a small percentage of Raintree owners into paying back accumulated Annual Fees. I had my purchase paid in full, was able to use it a total of 5 times, so I just wrote it off as a loss and let them pound sand. Anyone who actually believes that this company is anything more than a scam probably also still believes they will be able to keep their doctor under Obamacare! Just accept the loss, don't make more annual fee payments, but DO respond to any Collection Letters since a non-response will taken as an acknowledgement that you owe the money.

Tony R.
Jun 12, 2014

With regard to "taking the loss," I would like to use as a write off on my taxes and walk away...any ideas as to how that can be done. Raintree is so corrupt and I'm sure they are using the inventory and could care less..it all sucks.

John B.
Jun 12, 2014

johnb1527 wrote:
With regard to "taking the loss," I would like to use as a write off on my taxes and walk away...any ideas as to how that can be done.

Unless you have a legally registered business of renting timeshares, I seriously doubt you can claim any loss on your taxes.

Lance C.
Jun 12, 2014

I finally had my credit checked 5/14 and there was nothing in this regard. Goo riddance!

lindab1171 wrote:
are you going to check your credit ? We are so frustrated we really want out. Thanks for your feedback.

ront117 wrote:
I stopped making payments on this account in 2010 and still receive daily collection account phone calls on my home phone and cell phone. I just received a second Raintree7 conversion offer. I see this as an attempt to play on my desire not to be a financial scoflaw and obtain more money from me with the promise of having an end in sight to this lifetime obligation.

I have not checked my credit so I don't know if the threat to report my delinquency to the credit bureau was acted on.

Ron T.
Jun 15, 2014

Hi. If you do not owe on the contract (own outright) and are willing to give it up be persistant in ignoring them and the calls and write a letter demanding to know where in the contract they can pursue you regarding the MFs. Let them know they can keep the contract. Threaten to file a law suit. The California class action suit won. Let them know that you are aware of this. They are crooks and lie. Don't let them win.

Kathleen C.
Jun 15, 2014

We stopped paying. We had to write to Raintree and the collection agency. Please be sure to Put "cease and desist" as subject.

They no longer call us and it has NOT affected credit.

Kathleen B.
Aug 12, 2017

In our experience with Raintree Vacation Club in Cancun... Everything was fine, very recommendable because we had a good experience. The vacation club is amazing, our kids had an amazing holidays enjoying all of the things to do at the hotel. We definitely will come back very soon!

Ryan W.
Aug 13, 2017

ryanw197 wrote:
In our experience with Raintree Vacation Club in Cancun... Everything was fine, very recommendable because we had a good experience. The vacation club is amazing, our kids had an amazing holidays enjoying all of the things to do at the hotel. We definitely will come back very soon!

Such "ringing endorsements" of Raintree Vacation Club are very few and far between (non-existent, actually) in recent years.

I'd recommend taking this (not too subtle) "plug", which has suddenly appeared out of a clear blue sky to wave the Raintree flag more than THREE YEARS after the last posting in this thread, with a grain of salt --- at best! Could be just a shill now posting --- I'm not sure.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Aug 14, 2017 07:47 AM

Aug 14, 2017

My credit is perfect.I wrote the collectors demanding the evidence that I owed this fee and told them to stop calling me or I would sue.. They stopped. I did purchase this as a resale and bought from the owner directly so there really want a detailed contract between the resort and me. I am still getting calls asking me to sell this timeshare... pretty sure it's a scheme for money making.

Kathleen C.
Aug 14, 2017

You have the right to dispute anything that appears on your credit report . Unless they take you to court and receive a judgement against you nothing should appear on your credit report and if by chance something does show up on your report you can challenge it and probably have it removed. Check your credit reports a few times a year .

The calls to sell your timeshare is probably an upfront SCAM company. NEVER pay anyone money upfront that claims they can get you out of your contract .

Don P.
Oct 30, 2017

I inherited two weeks at Puerto Vallarta. Am unable to use either anymore. My mother purchased through 2036. Annual maintenance fees for one week is currently $1115.00, the other $1200.00. Although it was purchased in 1990 (I inherited in 2001), I have only gone once. Thought of renting the units, but apparently I am unable to opt to rent (according to rep it is stated in the contract). Will have to check to make sure that was the case back in 1990 contracts.

I have been banking last couple of years. Exchange fees now up to $239 per week with RCI. Has become a financial drain. Only options to rid myself of the weeks are: sell, transfer or donate. Quite a few sales on Red Week with price of $0. Apparently no takers. Any recommendations would be appreciated

frankg158 wrote:
I am considering purchasing at the raintree regina club in Cabo - through Redweek. In my google search, I saw a lot of complaints - especially concerning a special assessment. Are you happy with the company? If you had it to do over again would you purchase a raintree membership?

Sharon L.
Oct 31, 2017

sharonl164 wrote:
I inherited two weeks at Puerto Vallarta. Only options to rid myself of the weeks are: sell, transfer or donate. Quite a few sales on Red Week with price of $0. Apparently no takers. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

If it is in Mexico, likely it is a Right-to-use (RTU) which means that you don't actually own anything except a membership or contract. Check to see whether it is an RTU or deeded property. If it is an RTU, you might be able to terminate your contract or membership simply by stopping payments. They might hound you with collection agencies but, since they are in Mexico, they do not have any power over you (unless you live in Mexico). Check your contract to see what would happen if you stopped making payments.

Lance C.
Nov 02, 2017

You can rent through Redweek and pay a $50 fee to allow someone else to use your time. Raintree does not know if the people are renters or your best friend. I have rented many times and have not had problems.

Linda S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.