Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Renting my timeshare to someone....

Nov 26, 2006

I have never rented out a timeshare before but am a little confused by some of the things I have read.

First - Where can I find a good rental agreement?

Second - I have read that I am responsible for any damages. I understand that I own the week but why won't the resort just take their credit card number (like they would do for a room charge) and charge the person for any damages?

Third - I have a week that I traded on II for the Boardwalk resort at Disney in May(we had to bank a week and didn't want to lose it and then couldnt get anything that worked for us - we fell into this week and I took it because I know how popular Boardwalk is but we cant go in May while the kids are still in school). Can I rent that out? I know I can get a guest certificate from II but I read on Redweek that I am not allowed to rent it?? Why??

Sorry and thanks in advance for any help - I am new at this. We own at Harborside in Paradise Island, I don't think I will ever try using II again - I will just come to REdweek to rent my week and rent another. The process is much more managable.

Mary

Mary I.
Nov 26, 2006

Maybe you could trade your week with someone who has one more suitable to your needs? As long as you get a guest certificate I don't think there is any problem with that. The best way would be to post a red wish. You can also cancel your exchange and search for something else but you will pay another exchange fee. I think they refund you a portion of the exchange fee you paid already if you cancel far enough in advance. You can try to rent out the week, lots of people do it without problem. What the exchange companies are mostly concerned about are people or companies who buy lots of weeks and trade them to rent out as a commercial venture.

Darcy D.
Nov 26, 2006

Mary you can download a rental and sales contract at www.timesharingtoday.com for a small fee.

The reason exchange companies do not allow the sell of exchanged weeks is due to the fact that there are many people that would snag the very best exchanges and then turn around and sell them for a profit (this used to happen before the exchange companies caught on ... you'd see exchanges and deposited weeks for sale all the time on Ebay). Since the exchange companies can't distinguish the good guys from the bad guys, the overall rule of not selling exchanges was implemented across the board for ALL members. The old saying that a few bad apples can spoil the entire barrel is certainly true in this situation.

maryi9 wrote:
I have never rented out a timeshare before but am a little confused by some of the things I have read.

First - Where can I find a good rental agreement?

Second - I have read that I am responsible for any damages. I understand that I own the week but why won't the resort just take their credit card number (like they would do for a room charge) and charge the person for any damages?

Third - I have a week that I traded on II for the Boardwalk resort at Disney in May(we had to bank a week and didn't want to lose it and then couldnt get anything that worked for us - we fell into this week and I took it because I know how popular Boardwalk is but we cant go in May while the kids are still in school). Can I rent that out? I know I can get a guest certificate from II but I read on Redweek that I am not allowed to rent it?? Why??

Sorry and thanks in advance for any help - I am new at this. We own at Harborside in Paradise Island, I don't think I will ever try using II again - I will just come to REdweek to rent my week and rent another. The process is much more managable.

Mary

R P.
Dec 13, 2006

Just as a follow up - I went back to Interval and told them that I couldnt use the week and didnt have a guest to lend it to.

For another exchange fee ($135) I can turn the week back in and have another full year to use it . Since we thought we were going to lose the week anyway in Sept 07 - we dont mind paying the $135.

oh well - thanks for everyones help

Mary I.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.