Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

First time looking to rent...

Dec 27, 2006

I have never done this before and have some questions. Going to PV, Mexico and one of the resorts we are looking at has postings here. It is an all-inclusive resort and reflects that in the online prices (as a resort renter, not through a timeshare). Do the prices quoted here include the AI or will there be more $$ added on later, ie check-in at the resort. The pricing is considerably lower here - we are looking to stay 4 nights and the prices here for 7 nights are much lower than through any travel websites (orbitz, expedia, etc). It has a little bit of that "too good to be true" feeling so I'm afraid I might be missing something. Also, if it lists 1 bedroom, would I assume that to be the same type room as looking at a 1 bedroom suite through the other resort websites? Sorry for the length. Any insight/info is very much appreciated.

Kathy W.
Dec 28, 2006

kathyw102 wrote:
I have never done this before and have some questions. Going to PV, Mexico and one of the resorts we are looking at has postings here. It is an all-inclusive resort and reflects that in the online prices (as a resort renter, not through a timeshare). Do the prices quoted here include the AI or will there be more $$ added on later, ie check-in at the resort. The pricing is considerably lower here - we are looking to stay 4 nights and the prices here for 7 nights are much lower than through any travel websites (orbitz, expedia, etc). It has a little bit of that "too good to be true" feeling so I'm afraid I might be missing something. Also, if it lists 1 bedroom, would I assume that to be the same type room as looking at a 1 bedroom suite through the other resort websites? Sorry for the length. Any insight/info is very much appreciated.
Hi kathy! Buyer be very very aware is always a must! Each time, every time. Our neighbors stayed at the hotel unit of the Harborside in the Bahamas. They paid an additional $200.00 per room for the AI at check-in. They were informed of this beforehand (and thought it was a great deal, too!) But it was not an option. Many have posted comments about waiting in long lines for the food as a negative consequence of going AI, but other than that, hey, for $200.00, that's a 2 day bar bill for us! LOL! The resort's web site should provide accurate information for you about the AI program if you feel you require verification of those details from the renter. Regarding the price, the market on orbitz or expedia is a different market. You shop here expecting to do better, that's why you are here! But be certain that you are very well informed of the unit that is being offered. The word "suite" in the description identifies a separate bedroom layout and the word "studio" or "hotel" unit does not. From studying the descriptions provided in the templates here at redweek, it seems to me that 1BR sleeps 4 would equate to a 1BR suite offering at expedia, and a 2BR sleeps 6 or 8 would equate to a 2BR suite offering. That said, you should still know enough about the resort beforehand to ask intelligent questions of the renter, like what building is the unit in, is it elevator accessible, is there a view, is parking nearby and is it free, has the unit been remodeled lately, is it really non-smoking, what is the size and layout of the bathrooms, etc. Hope some of this helps you. Happy Holidays!

Redd W.
Dec 28, 2006

I would check out the resort's homepage to see what their all inclusive fees are. Some AI's can be $100+ a day per person.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Dec 28, 2006 10:45 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.