Point Systems

Sheraton Star Options???

Jan 16, 2007

I am interesting in selling my time share with Sheraton, which is basically a 2 bedroom unit - float. However it ='s to 67,000 star options.

My question is if I sell the time share, does the new owner rec'v the full amount of star options and the ability to use them like I have?

Chastity K.
Jan 28, 2007

As far as I know yes. Your best bet is to call Starwood as this might be an asset in selling.

Anet D.
Feb 02, 2007

chas, not all the starwood resale timeshares can be converted to points. There are only a few that convert on resale. check with starwood.

Candice B.
Feb 19, 2007

i called starwood myself, twice, and spoke to customer services. both times same answer, so i guess this is the truth:

there are only 5 resorts that membership in starwood transfers to the new owner. I'm unsure of them all, but i know the following are good: 1. Atlantis 2. St Johns 3. Westin Ranch Mirage 4. Both the Hawaii resorts 5. Westin Scottsdade

If you're not one of those, then the new owner does not (and is actually unable to) obtain membership into SVO. So, that means the new owners only get membership in II or RCI, whichever is applicable (I think most at II now).

Hope this helps....

Chad S.
Feb 19, 2007

I just got off the phone with Starwood, and they said (well this piticular customer service rep) said that the 'new owners' could use the star options, ONLY if they paid a one time fee of 600.00.

Strange huh?

I will call back in a few days to see if they have something different to say.

thanks, Chas

Chastity K.
Feb 19, 2007

i would love for it to be an option....but when i called i specifically asked the rule...since i was told elsewhere "a particular account person said...."........so, if i'm wrong, then that surely lopens up options for us looking for expanded ownership

Chad S.
Feb 20, 2007

I called again, and I spoke to someone that knew what she was talking about and NO there is no way if I sell my timeshare that the new owner will rec'v the star options. They would be only allowed to visit the Myrtle Beach Sheraton, unless they used II or RCI.

I then told the csr that I felt this was very unfair (like this would help, blame the pregg hormones tho), and just bad practice. She in other words agreed and suggested that I try to sell it on some website.

I am going to go thru my paperwork again, and try to find where it stated this policy, because I just don't think it is unreasonable to expect it all to transfer when it is sold. I almost feel trapped in the vacation ownership now.

That brings me to another question, How on earth do people sell these, I mean at the Plantation resort in SC? I guess I just don't understand it at all.

Thanks for all your help, Chastity

Chastity K.
Mar 13, 2007

chads15 wrote:
i called starwood myself, twice, and spoke to customer services. both times same answer, so i guess this is the truth:

there are only 5 resorts that membership in starwood transfers to the new owner. I'm unsure of them all, but i know the following are good: 1. Atlantis 2. St Johns 3. Westin Ranch Mirage 4. Both the Hawaii resorts 5. Westin Scottsdade

If you're not one of those, then the new owner does not (and is actually unable to) obtain membership into SVO. So, that means the new owners only get membership in II or RCI, whichever is applicable (I think most at II now).

Hope this helps....

StarOptions are transferable for the SVN "Mandatory" resorts which include: Harborside Resort (at Atlantis) Vistana Viillages (Orlando) Westin St John Westin Ka'anapali Westin Kierland Villas So resale buyers, if they purchase one of the listed resorts could use the StarOptions at any resort in the SVN network

Resorts that are SNV "Voluntary" do not allow resale buyers (unless purchased thru the developer) to use any other SVN resort with the StarOptions except the one specifically purchased. These resorts include: Westin Mission Hills Vistana Resort Broadway Plantation Desert Oasis Lakeside Terrace PGA Vacation Resort Mountain Vista

Wendy R.
Mar 16, 2007

wendy103 and all, There are some resorts on both lists. Where did you verify your information from? Are the "voluntary" resorts ones that you can exercise the $600 option if you buy a resale? Does anyone here ever try to exchange their unit using star options? What is the success rate? Where do you own? Did you buy from the developer? Are Star Points worth the extra cost of buying from the developer?

We are considering a purchase from Sheraton and are trying to do our due diligence.

Thanks

L M.

Last edited by lichael on Mar 16, 2007 10:26 AM

Mar 16, 2007

libby31 wrote:
wendy103 and all, There are some resorts on both lists. Where did you verify your information from? Are the "voluntary" resorts ones that you can exercise the $600 option if you buy a resale? Does anyone here ever try to exchange their unit using star options? What is the success rate? Where do you own? Did you buy from the developer? Are Star Points worth the extra cost of buying from the developer?

We are considering a purchase from Sheraton and are trying to do our due diligence.

Thanks

If you want to purchase at sheraton broadway plantation and get the star options (for use of other in network sheraton property's) then buy from the developer. But if you are open to joining II, or RCI instead of Starwood, then def buy resale.

Chastity K.
Mar 16, 2007

libby31 wrote:

Thanks

I spoke with a Sales Agent with the Starwood Vacation Network (SVN) and two other timeshare realtors. I am currently trying to purchase so have been doing my homework. You can call the sales agent yourself...just google the SVN site and there is a 1-800 # to call. The guy I spoke with was very helpful.

I do not know anything about a $600 fee to get access to the StarOptions. If you buy in a "voluntary" resort, you do not get to use your StarOptions at other SVN resorts. If you buy at a "mandatory" resort, you CAN use your StarOptions at other resorts but it is my understanding that there is a $99 fee to do this (not sure if this is an every year fee or an initial fee when first purchasing resale.)

As far as I know, the only way to get access to StarPOINTS (not StarOptions) is to purchase through the developer. StarPOINTS can be used for hotel nights, etc.

As I said, I am currently trying to buy in a "mandatory" resort. The Developer's resale unit (currently had no inventory) for what I wanted cost $25,900. I can get the same thing resale for about half that.

Also, buying into a mandatory resort will provide you a better resale value since the StarOptions can transfer to the new owner.

It is a good deal to buy resale but you have to really research it thoroughly to understand what you are getting.

Wendy R.
Mar 20, 2007

I was told that the Star Options and Points are transferable at all starwood resorts in AZ. That is why the time share in AZ can retain more values than mine, which is Westin Mission Hills in CA.

Anthony W.
Mar 20, 2007

anthony21 wrote:
I was told that the Star Options and Points are transferable at all starwood resorts in AZ. That is why the time share in AZ can retain more values than mine, which is Westin Mission Hills in CA.

StarOptions are transferable for the Westin Kierland resort for resale purchasers. The other Starwood resort in Arizona (Desert Oasis) currently does not allow StarOptions to transfer to resale purhasers. (See above comments about "mandatory and voluntary" resorts.) This is why the Kierland would/should have a better resale value than the Westin Mission Hills.

StarPoints do not transfer to resale purchasers. You are eligible for these when you purchase through the developer.

There is alot of misinformation out there so be careful and triple check everything from reliable sources. I wouldn't count these forums as reliable sources

Wendy R.
Apr 07, 2007

Ok - Wendy 103 seems to know the skinny on the StarOptions that transfer and the ones that don't. Tell me this if you know: Does it matter when the original ownership was acquired at say, VV, or is the WHOLE property, regardless of the original sale date (or number of turnovers), in membership with SVN in perpetuity? (Assuming the SVN keeps that property in their network - that's another way a person could lose the right to SVN - if Starwood sells off that property!) Thanks in advance for the info!

S M.
Apr 20, 2007

I am currently looking into buying a Sheraton Timeshare that was never converted to Starwood. How much does it cost to convert to Starwood? The timeshare is for Broadway in SC. I currently own a Starwood Options deed already there and was looking to add another timeshare there and combine the options, but the owner never switched over.

Blake S.
Apr 20, 2007

Here is the list of properties that will transfer with the StarOptions

Sheraton Vistana Villages Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort North Villas Westin St. John Resort & Villas Harborside Resort at Atlantis Westin Kierland Villas

The rest are non transferable (list was given directly from Starwood)

chastityk wrote:
I am interesting in selling my time share with Sheraton, which is basically a 2 bedroom unit - float. However it ='s to 67,000 star options.

My question is if I sell the time share, does the new owner rec'v the full amount of star options and the ability to use them like I have?

Eric B.
Oct 26, 2009

When I worked for SVO a few years ago, selling your SVO timeshare on the open market meant that it became strictly an RCI exchange. No more options for Sheraton resort exchange; no more points for Starwood hotel exchange.

Since it is 'inheritable, it seems like there could be a creative way around that...

E A.
Aug 26, 2010

wendy103 wrote:
libby31 wrote:

Thanks

I spoke with a Sales Agent with the Starwood Vacation Network (SVN) and two other timeshare realtors. I am currently trying to purchase so have been doing my homework. You can call the sales agent yourself...just google the SVN site and there is a 1-800 # to call. The guy I spoke with was very helpful.

I do not know anything about a $600 fee to get access to the StarOptions. If you buy in a "voluntary" resort, you do not get to use your StarOptions at other SVN resorts. If you buy at a "mandatory" resort, you CAN use your StarOptions at other resorts but it is my understanding that there is a $99 fee to do this (not sure if this is an every year fee or an initial fee when first purchasing resale.)

As far as I know, the only way to get access to StarPOINTS (not StarOptions) is to purchase through the developer. StarPOINTS can be used for hotel nights, etc.

As I said, I am currently trying to buy in a "mandatory" resort. The Developer's resale unit (currently had no inventory) for what I wanted cost $25,900. I can get the same thing resale for about half that.

Also, buying into a mandatory resort will provide you a better resale value since the StarOptions can transfer to the new owner.

It is a good deal to buy resale but you have to really research it thoroughly to understand what you are getting.

Curt Sr

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.