Feb 14, 2007

I am considering buying at Harborside but have heard that fees may be rising to over $2,200! Does anyone have any knowledge about this? That seems extremely excessive and out of line with all other luxury resorts. Are owners planning on doing anything about this?

Trish H.
Mar 21, 2007

The maintenance fees depend on the size of the unit you own. Only the larger two bedroom lockout and the three bedroom lockout fees are at that rate. Look into the one bedroom deluxe or premium or the two bedroom (not lockout). It should be around $1.000 maintenance.

You also have to think of what you are getting with the maintenance fees at Atlantis as compared to eg. Sheraton Florida which is part of the Starwood exchange network that Atlantis is a part of. If you look at the "options" you get at Atlantis, you pretty much pay on par for the number of options you get. ie. a 1 bedroom premium in Atlantis is the same "options" as a 2 bedroom in Florida.

Lauren L.
Mar 23, 2007

FYI, I have 2 2-bedroom lock-offs and just got my maintenance fee bills...$2,221 times 2. That said, it is still the most fun my family has each year and they are constantly building mew features every year. Also, the timeshares are close to being sold out and then you would have to purchase one of the $1 million condos to have a"real" place to stay. We stayed at the Royal Towers before we bought and I could never stay in a hotel there again after staying in the timeshare condo.

Mike S.
Mar 23, 2007

trish88 wrote:
I am considering buying at Harborside but have heard that fees may be rising to over $2,200! Does anyone have any knowledge about this? That seems extremely excessive and out of line with all other luxury resorts. Are owners planning on doing anything about this?

Hep, we just got our bill yesterday. We have two 2 BR lockoffs in phase I. I am wondering if everyone has the same fee amount as we do. It has doubled since we bought! Ugh!

Patricia S.
Mar 25, 2007

2 bedroom lockoff phase 1 Harborside total homeowner's assessments: 2007 2231 2006 1889 2005 1675 2004 1519 2003 1451 2002 1382 This represents 61% increase over the last five years. We just visited on week 11, had a delightful time, asked about magnitude of increases , but did not really get satisfactory explanation. Upon returning home I have the bill in the mail, have read the pie graphs and explanation, but I am uncconvinced tha sufficient efforts are being made to control costs. I will be writing to SVO management and Board of Directors. I am interested in hearing if anyone has comparative costs for say St. John or other comparable resorts.

Douglas D.
Mar 26, 2007

douglasd29 wrote:
2 bedroom lockoff phase 1 Harborside total homeowner's assessments: 2007 2231 2006 1889 2005 1675 2004 1519 2003 1451 2002 1382 This represents 61% increase over the last five years. We just visited on week 11, had a delightful time, asked about magnitude of increases , but did not really get satisfactory explanation. Upon returning home I have the bill in the mail, have read the pie graphs and explanation, but I am uncconvinced tha sufficient efforts are being made to control costs. I will be writing to SVO management and Board of Directors. I am interested in hearing if anyone has comparative costs for say St. John or other comparable resorts.

It appears from the for sales ads in Redweek.com that Westin St. John USVI maintenance fees are 2 bdrm $1234 3 bdrm $1686 However the listings are variable and may not be accurate.

In addition, the trouble is, one cannot really compare anything else to Atlantis and all the amenities it offers. I saw a show on the top 10 resort destinations and Atlantis was in the top 3 if I remember correctly. All the others were incredibly exclusive places. I've read reviews of Westin St. John on tripadvisor and it did not rate high.

Much of the costs in the fee increase includes the new phase development user fee. I certainly hope that since the waterpark development has finished there won't be anymore increase in fees. I would seriously consider sitting on the board to gain some sense of control.

Lauren L.

Last edited by flyimlee on Mar 26, 2007 08:29 PM

Apr 18, 2007

douglasd29 wrote:
We have had the exact same experience you have had. I am scheduled to speak with Sean O'brien director of board relations later this week about this issue and am wondering whether you have spoken with anyone and gotten any explanation. Thanks.

Marcella S.
May 17, 2007

marcella11 wrote:
douglasd29 wrote:
We have had the exact same experience you have had. I am scheduled to speak with Sean O'brien director of board relations later this week about this issue and am wondering whether you have spoken with anyone and gotten any explanation. Thanks.
I am an an owner of a two bedroom lockoff that I purchased in 2003. My family vacations there every year and we love it. I would like to be involved in controling the maintence fees. Thankyou, Frank

Frank S.
Jul 29, 2007

franks63 wrote:
marcella11 wrote:
douglasd29 wrote:
I am an an owner of a two bedroom lockoff that I purchased in 2003. My family vacations there every year and we love it. I would like to be involved in controling the maintence fees. Thankyou, Frank

We also own a 2 bedroom lockoff purchased in 2004 and bought an every other year one bedroom in 2007. We have also seen the increase in the two bedroom maintenance and would like to be included in any correspondence in controlling the maintenance fees.

Thanks, gail

Gail T.
Aug 13, 2007

trish88 wrote:

If you want to stay at Atlantis but pay lower maintence fee's, buy a Starwood property in Orlando, or Scottsdale. The maintence fee's are lower and you can stay at any Starwood property including Harborside Resort Atlantis. Remember that the exchange power at Atlantis is much greater than most other properties. You would have to go off season to have an even exchange. I own at Vistana Villages in Orlando in HIGH season in a 2 bed-lockoff, the fee's are about $1,170. To get the same room at Harborside Atlantis I go during the off season, September. Also remember that you would have to wait four months longer to get a room, owners at their home resort can make reservation twelve months advance while owners at sister resort can reserve ownly eight months in advance.

Greg S.

Last edited by gregs126 on Aug 13, 2007 03:22 PM

Aug 13, 2007

gregs126 wrote:
trish88 wrote:

If you want to stay at Atlantis but pay lower maintence fee's, buy a Starwood property in Orlando, or Scottsdale. The maintence fee's are lower and you can stay at any Starwood property including Harborside Resort Atlantis. Remember that the exchange power at Atlantis is much greater than most other properties. You would have to go off season to have an even exchange. I own at Vistana Villages in Orlando in HIGH season in a 2 bed-lockoff, the fee's are about $1,170. To get the same room at Harborside Atlantis I go during the off season, September. Also remember that you would have to wait four months longer to get a room, owners at their home resort can make reservation twelve months advance while owners at sister resort can reserve ownly eight months in advance.

This sounds like a good idea but you should buy where you want to go--there are plenty of web sites where timeshare owners share information and I can tell you that a constant comment is how hard it is to trade in to the big 3 Starwood resorts--St John, Harborside at Atlantis and Hawaii--Yes the fees are high and there is a reason. If you are happy to buy an Orlando timeshare and take your chances at getting in then go for it--but just know that you really should buy where and when you want to go. Just my opinion!!!!!!!!!!!

Maria W.
Aug 13, 2007

maria985 wrote:
gregs126 wrote:
trish88 wrote:

This sounds like a good idea but you should buy where you want to go--there are plenty of web sites where timeshare owners share information and I can tell you that a constant comment is how hard it is to trade in to the big 3 Starwood resorts--St John, Harborside at Atlantis and Hawaii--Yes the fees are high and there is a reason. If you are happy to buy an Orlando timeshare and take your chances at getting in then go for it--but just know that you really should buy where and when you want to go. Just my opinion!!!!!!!!!!!

I totally agree with you Maria.

Actually if you look at the maintenance fee vs. staroption points that you receive for the respective units, you may pay a little more or the same (depending on the unit you own and the season) maintenance fee for Atlantis than Orlando.

We looked at the option of buying outside Atlantis and figured out that there is not much difference in as far as maintenance fees and you are better off buying where you would have better trading power. I would rather pay a few hundred more and be able to go wherever and whenever I wish, otherwise owning a timeshare becomes work and a headache.

Of course, the big difference was in purchase price, that too is somewhat like any real estate purchase in that a popular place will retain its' value.

You get what you pay for!

Lauren L.
Sep 02, 2007

patricias96 wrote:
trish88 wrote:

Hep, we just got our bill yesterday. We have two 2 BR lockoffs in phase I. I am wondering if everyone has the same fee amount as we do. It has doubled since we bought! Ugh!

YEP, IT IS ABSOLUTLY CRAZY. EVERY YEAR I GET MY BILL IT IS MORE AND MORE $. AS BEAUTIFUL AS THE HARBORSIDE IS, IT IS CRAZY TO INVEST THAT AMOUNT OF MONEY EVERY YEAR.

Danielle D.
Sep 08, 2007

trish88 wrote:

Yes Trish - considering that maintenance fees have risen every single year you can plan on it but, as someone noted, it depends on the space and season.

I own a 1 br premium and expect fees to be about $1200 this year. The exchange power however, is incredible. As is the resort.

If you are planning to buy you may want to note this. I thought of buying a lesser season to add to my ownership and upgrading it. Starwood tells me that the upgrade would be the difference between what I paid and what Harborside is currently selling the unit for so do your due diligence and read the fine print. Call Starwood with your questions.

Patricia T.
Sep 13, 2007

Does anyone know if there are any other fees associated with ownership, such as; a utility surcharge of $6 pp, per night or a Housekeeping service at $4.25 pp night. Or are the fees, fees that they charge if you rent from Harborside.

Theresa H.
Sep 14, 2007

theresa22 wrote:
Does anyone know if there are any other fees associated with ownership, such as; a utility surcharge of $6 pp, per night or a Housekeeping service at $4.25 pp night. Or are the fees, fees that they charge if you rent from Harborside.
Depends who you rent from--if you rent directly from hotel there are those charges plus 12% tax--if you rent through an owner or for example atlantisfamilyfun.com you are basically renting from an owner so you don't pay those charges.

Maria W.
Sep 14, 2007

Thanks for the info. $10.25/pp per day good get to be a big expense, on top of your maintenace fees. Not to mention the 12% tax wow! Again thanks for the info.

Theresa H.
Mar 27, 2008

douglasd29 wrote:

I have also written to the Kushner Corporation whom if you didn't know actually own the rights to Harborside under master lease through Starwood. Our Maintenance is paid to Kurshner HQ and not Starwood?? This should alert all of us to question the Board of Directors how much stock do we as owners at Harborside get??

The Maintenance Fees are "through the roof" because our fees also go to the Atlantis development as well.

I guess this is one of the reason after I expressed my concerns I was not elected to the Condo Association Board last year. My fees for 2008 were $2,323.53 - ouch!

Have you tried to reserve weeks at Harborside outside your Deeded week - well forget it!! Starwood and Kurshner in particular rent the units to the local public first - this is a shame as an owner we paying these kind of fees we don't get preference...

Thomas P.

Last edited by thomasp140 on Mar 27, 2008 12:00 PM

Mar 27, 2008

thomasp140 wrote:
douglasd29 wrote:

I have also written to the Kushner Corporation whom if you didn't know actually own the rights to Harborside under master lease through Starwood. Our Maintenance is paid to Kurshner HQ and not Starwood?? This should alert all of us to question the Board of Directors how much stock do we as owners at Harborside get??

The Maintenance Fees are "through the roof" because our fees also go to the Atlantis development as well.

I guess this is one of the reason after I expressed my concerns I was not elected to the Condo Association Board last year. My fees for 2008 were $2,323.53 - ouch!

Have you tried to reserve weeks at Harborside outside your Deeded week - well forget it!! Starwood and Kurshner in particular rent the units to the local public first - this is a shame as an owner we paying these kind of fees we don't get preference...

We as owners should also question? Why is it that the guests staying at the Comfort Suites across from Atlantis enjoy the benefits as those at Harborside to use all the facilities at Atlantis - It's because the Kurshner organization owns the Comfort Suites!! this was the deal made when the Atlantis was being built to local gov't and should have expired - but never did?? I have questioned this to the Board who quite frankly were puzzled.

Thomas P.
Mar 28, 2008

I am concerned about the increases also==but mine also relate to what I don't think is enough showing in the reserve accounts for what is a very soon renovation of Phase 1--it doesn't seem to me that there is sufficient funds in the accounts to do the renovations. As to Comfort Suites I have been told Kerzner does not own them. As to using other weeks I have traded my platinum weeks several times without problems==but I have not tried to get highly popular weeks like Presidents week or spring break.

Maria W.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.