Timeshare Exchanges

exchange power for shearton vistana villages

Feb 25, 2007

I am thinking about buying the vistana villages if you own here and have a membership with II I was wondering if I would be able to exchange with ncv, mpb for the week of sep 30.

This would give me a good idea if the resort has exchange power

Sue S.
Mar 04, 2007

elis11 wrote:
I am thinking about buying the vistana villages if you own here and have a membership with II I was wondering if I would be able to exchange with ncv, mpb for the week of sep 30.

This would give me a good idea if the resort has exchange power

I believe that Marriott does not make their timeshare units available to non-Marriott owners until 60 or 90 days before the rental date. Therefore, if you own any non-Marriott property, you may not be able to exchange for Marriott Newport Coast or West Palm Beach for September 30 until the end of June or July.

My sister owns a small non-Marriott studio in Hilton Head. I was able to look at an NCV availability with my MBP Marriott studio within a 30-60 day window, but she could not see it. However, she could see an Orlando 2 BR Marriott at certain times of the year, perhaps at MCP or MGV.

If you own a timeshare and are a member of Interval International, there are some great getaways in the off-season. For instance, today, there are 1 bedroom villas available at MPB in May 2007, including one for Memorial week.

Tim

Timothy S.

Last edited by tim755 on Mar 04, 2007 06:21 PM

Mar 21, 2007

if you didn't see my reply on your other post, here it is again, but beware of breaking any of the timeshare rules. Forget the points systems and make sure you go with a floating week: Here's the scoop on exchange power. It actually has nothing to do with the saturation of resorts, rather a combination of 5 factors: location, season, size, quality and amenities. If you break any of these timeshare "rules", you will have difficulty with exchanges. Let's go over these briefly: 1) location is vitally important. If you own in one of the top three tourist destinations, you will have an easier time (3 is Hawaii, 2 is Las Vegas, 1 is Orlando) due to the demand. 2)The season in which you own is extremely important, because not only do you need a high or red time of year in which you own, you need a week that can be used as floating time throughout the year (be very leery of points based systems like Sheraton, marriott, dvc, fairfield, etc.). 3) SIZE, SIZE, SIZE of the unit you own has been playing a huge factor. According to II, in their catalog (2007/2008) on page 12, "a unit with more private sleeping areas yields more trading power", and this is becoming a big trend. 4) Quality: if you have something less than a 5 star or gold crown, you are making a huge mistake. 5) Amenities: in your unit and on the resort will yield a higher demand, if you have a plethera of stuff, not just a pool and a barbeque grill. You've made the right choice in orlando, now go find at least, a three bedroom unit (preferably not a lock-off which is somewhat hard to find) or a four bedroom in the land of timeshare. Remember, the big rule of timeshare is to trade equally or down. Don't ever count on trading up just because you own with a "big name" or you own in a points system. 'nuff sed....

Chris J.
Nov 29, 2007

chrisj87 wrote:
It actually has nothing to do with the saturation of resorts, rather a combination of 5 factors: location, season, size, quality and amenities.

Agreed, plus supply and demand.

Quote:
location is vitally important. If you own in one of the top three tourist destinations, you will have an EASIER TIME (3 is Hawaii, 2 is Las Vegas, 1 is Orlando) due to the demand.

Not necessarily ... I do agree with Hawaii but Orlando is oversaturated with resorts (128 resorts in all with something like 28,000 units) and Vegas is beginning to be oversaturated with timeshare resorts along with thousands of nice rooms availible via luxury hotels. The highest trading power is the most desirable locations with the least amount of availibility (again, supply and demand).

R P.
Nov 29, 2007

jayjay wrote:
chrisj87 wrote:
It actually has nothing to do with the saturation of resorts, rather a combination of 5 factors: location, season, size, quality and amenities.

Agreed, plus supply and demand.

Quote:
location is vitally important. If you own in one of the top three tourist destinations, you will have an EASIER TIME (3 is Hawaii, 2 is Las Vegas, 1 is Orlando) due to the demand.

Not necessarily ... I do agree with Hawaii but Orlando is oversaturated with resorts (128 resorts in all with something like 28,000 units) and Vegas is beginning to be oversaturated with timeshare resorts along with thousands of nice rooms availible via luxury hotels. The highest trading power is the most desirable locations with the least amount of availibility (again, supply and demand).

====== I agree with jayjay’s observation of supply and demand. I own a timeshare in New England (which is no longer an II 5-star resort), which has more trading power than my 5-Star resort in Williamsburg. For example, there are probably less timeshare resorts in all of New England than in the Orlando area alone. It can be very difficult to exchange into a summer week in New England, especially if one is looking for Cape Cod, MA or Newport, RI.

Mike N.

Last edited by mike1536 on Nov 29, 2007 07:01 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.