Travel Tips & Advice

Bringing food from home?

Mar 26, 2007

We will be in St Thomas for two weeks in May, has anyone since 9/11 brought food - frozen meat, etc.) on a carry on or in their luggage? Have any problems??

Ruth M.
Mar 30, 2007

ruthm65 wrote:
We will be in St Thomas for two weeks in May, has anyone since 9/11 brought food - frozen meat, etc.) on a carry on or in their luggage? Have any problems??

Ruth; I have no personal knowledge of your question, but I would suspect that you will end up leaving your "groceries" at the airport.

If you really want to take your own "groceries" with you, I would suggest using "dry ice and UPS/FEDEX"

Jon S.
Mar 30, 2007

ruthm65 wrote:

Ruth; I was also going to suggest that you call your Airline for info. But that really doesn't work anymore. The "Security Screener" will make the final decision and you won't know the answer until you attempt to pass security. In any case, good luck!

Jon S.
Mar 30, 2007

jons29 wrote:
ruthm65 wrote:

Ruth; I was also going to suggest that you call your Airline for info. But that really doesn't work anymore. The "Security Screener" will make the final decision and you won't know the answer until you attempt to pass security. In any case, good luck!

Jon - You are right airlines don't assist as they used to. We decided to take dry ice in a cooler as checked luggage. We rarely check our bags for fear of delay and the inconvienence of it all, we love getting off the plane and just getting out of there!

Ruth M.
Apr 01, 2007

I've taken food into Mexico, Aruba and St. Maarten with no problems. I've just packed in inside a cooler bag in my checked luggage. The bags were even x-rayed in Cabo San Lucas with no delay. I usually purchase the precooked bacon also.

Mickey L.
Apr 05, 2007

mickey56 wrote:
I've taken food into Mexico, Aruba and St. Maarten with no problems. I've just packed in inside a cooler bag in my checked luggage. The bags were even x-rayed in Cabo San Lucas with no delay. I usually purchase the precooked bacon also.
--------- Solid foods won't be a problem, only liquids. So care must be taken when buying that duty free bottle of Scotch or perfume. Some foods, such as fruit, are prohibited from entering the US. When we were returning from Ireland, my wife brought an orange from our hotel to eat on the plane. She never ate it and it was sniffed out by what I liked to call the "Beagle Patrol". He was trained to sniff out agricultural products. We all had a laugh, but were told that were were lucky were weren't "caught" by the other dog...the drug-sniffing dog.

Mike N.
Apr 06, 2007

mike1536 wrote:
mickey56 wrote:
--------- Solid foods won't be a problem, only liquids. So care must be taken when buying that duty free bottle of Scotch or perfume. Some foods, such as fruit, are prohibited from entering the US. When we were returning from Ireland, my wife brought an orange from our hotel to eat on the plane. She never ate it and it was sniffed out by what I liked to call the "Beagle Patrol". He was trained to sniff out agricultural products. We all had a laugh, but were told that were were lucky were weren't "caught" by the other dog...the drug-sniffing dog.

Thanks Mike - we have a beagle mix and she sure does know how to sniff things out! Decided to check the food box went to a dry ice place here in town they gave us a shipping box with foil lining. We will bring back to them with the food the morning we leave will pack it with the dry ice and seal, then we will be on our way!

Ruth M.
May 12, 2007

jons29 wrote:
ruthm65 wrote:

Ruth; I have no personal knowledge of your question, but I would suspect that you will end up leaving your "groceries" at the airport.

If you really want to take your own "groceries" with you, I would suggest using "dry ice and UPS/FEDEX"

We have on many occasions taken a "cooler" filled with frozen sauce, cooked breaded cutlets, frozen meats, cookies, etc. and have never had a problem.

Edwina H.
Jun 04, 2011

We have friends that will be returning from Cabo and we want hem to bring us some fish back and we'er trying to find out if dry ice could be purchased there to keep the fish frozen for the trip home.

Devandas K.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.