Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

I worked at a timeshare SCAM....I want to tell you about it.

Apr 13, 2007

2 years ago I worked at a timeshare scam. I am a single mother (it doesn't condone my actions but please understand). I easily made over 3k a WEEK at my resell job. The company has a really BAD rep online you will find them on ripoffreport.com.

The owner a very young guy and his pal run the place his pals father is an attorney and they are the lowest of the low.

I found the job being unemployed and afraid I answered an ad in the Orlando Sentinel for sales people. I have quite a bit of sales and marketing experience and they gladly took me aboard.

I soon realized that I was dealing with a timeshare scam by that time I had already been well on my way to making $156K for the year getting a 30% commission on every deal I sold.

As you may be able to imagine I was having a worldly & spirally binding war within my self. I can still remember how excited that the whole office was when the first hour I made my first sell. It was an intoxicating experience I still bare the shame for. the man & wife even called immediately back after I got their credit card just to check if the number was real, and of course it was. As you already know my faith, my spirit and my fear of god brought me to my senses. I started to question the owner in front of the "other" employees and I did my own Internet investigations including a back ground check on the owners & the DUI attorney daddy. I found what I was looking for and I was not quiet about it so they FIRED me. I expected as much. I needed to be fired to clear my conscious.

The place is still scamming to this day and they are still raking in the cash from unsuspecting timeshare young and old alike. I am sorry for my part in this SCAM. I just want you all to be aware of the fact that you should NOT pay an UPFRONT FEE. TO anyone ever. I find that this site is the best source of renting the timeshares out (by word of mouth).

Good luck to all and I am sorry if I hurt you who ever you are.

Amy V.
Apr 14, 2007

Hi Amy,

What exactly do you mean by "timeshare scam" is it a real ownership, or is it a non exsiting resort? I am very interested in your experience, as we were sold the weeks, but we can use them ourselves, though weeks meant to re-sold for some profit... Though I/ve heard that some companies will sell annual "membership", but in fact just pocketed the money and disappeared in 2 weeks.

Tanya P.
Apr 14, 2007

amy, thanks for relating your story to us. That company is typical of upfront fee resale companies.

And may those here be made aware, once again, of your last very important statement that's been reiterated over and over in these forums you should NOT ever pay an UPFRONT FEE.

amyv41 wrote:
The place is still scamming to this day and they are still raking in the cash from unsuspecting timeshare young and old alike. I am sorry for my part in this SCAM. I just want you all to be aware of the fact that you should NOT pay an UPFRONT FEE.

R P.
Apr 14, 2007

P.S. I would report this company and its scam tactics to the Florida Attorney General.

I hope that all upfront fee timeshare resale companies are, one day, run completely out of business by the law.

R P.
Apr 14, 2007

tanyap28 wrote:
Hi Amy,

What exactly do you mean by "timeshare scam" is it a real ownership, or is it a non exsiting resort? I am very interested in your experience, as we were sold the weeks, but we can use them ourselves, though weeks meant to re-sold for some profit... Though I/ve heard that some companies will sell annual "membership", but in fact just pocketed the money and disappeared in 2 weeks.

I worked for a resell scam. They simply take your money and you get nothing but a contract stating that they will advertise only on the Internet on their very low grade web sites.

Amy V.
Apr 14, 2007

jayjay wrote:
P.S. I would report this company and its scam tactics to the Florida Attorney General.

I hope that all upfront fee timeshare resale companies are, one day, run completely out of business by the law.

I did but apparently they need more than just me to tell them what is going on there.

Amy V.
Apr 14, 2007

Re; >> I would report this company and its scam tactics to the Florida Attorney General. <<

Re: >> I hope that all upfront fee timeshare resale companies are, one day, run completely out of business by the law. <<

As I've openly stated in these forums, I have no use whatsoever for these parasitic so-called "resale" companies. Parasites is really the only appropriate (polite) word for them.

That said, in regard to "the law", it's important to remember that there is not necessarily any ILLEGAL activity involved in their unseemly practices, absent outright fraud -- and the parasites know this full well. Accordingly, don't get your hopes too high for any real interest or involvement of any state Attorney General, in the absence of commission of any outright fraud. These parasites knowingly and willfully prey upon the vulnerable state of mind of (sometimes desperate) sellers, that's a fact. However, do not fail to acknowledge that the would-be sellers VOLUNTARILY participate. They are not coerced or tortured; they CHOOSE to pay. They MAKE THE DECISION to pay big bucks for little more than a shabby web site listing, based on emotions, hopes and unfounded optimism.

I too would like to see all of these parasites disappear from this planet forever. But until and unless there are laws firmly in place to specifically prohibit their practices, it's (unfortunately) relevant to make the distinction between unsavory vs. illegal.

CAVEAT EMPTOR (Buyer Beware)

KC
Apr 24, 2007

I've been taken in by one of these outfits. My bankcard has been charged BUT I have not yet signed & returned their contract. Since they don't have a signed document, is there any hope that I can stop the charge on my bankcard?

Monte B.
Apr 24, 2007

Get in touch with your bank ASAP and stop payment on that transaction. If the payment has already gone through then get in touch with the resale company and tell them you have changed your mind and you are not signing and returning the contract and that you want your payment returned to your bankcard account.

Since you have not signed any contract the above should be all that you have to do.

Another lesson learned here is that you should NEVER send any funds to anyone until you have read and signed all contracts.

monte12 wrote:
I've been taken in by one of these outfits. My bankcard has been charged BUT I have not yet signed & returned their contract. Since they don't have a signed document, is there any hope that I can stop the charge on my bankcard?

R P.
Apr 24, 2007

P.S. If the resale company gives you any problems concerning returning your payment to your bankcard account, you can then dispute the payment with your bank (or credit card company) telling them you have been scammed and have not signed any contracts with the resale company, but they took payment out of your account anyway. The bank would then investigate your transaction with the resale company and hopefully your funds will be returned to your account since there was no signed contract.

R P.
Apr 24, 2007

jayjay wrote:
P.S. If the resale company gives you any problems concerning returning your payment to your bankcard account, you can then dispute the payment with your bank (or credit card company) telling them you have been scammed and have not signed any contracts with the resale company, but they took payment out of your account anyway. The bank would then investigate your transaction with the resale company and hopefully your funds will be returned to your account since there was no signed contract.

thanks jayjay-It's actually one of those "timeshare advertising" companies rather than a resale company (an extremely subtle difference imo). Exactly the same pitch though: "I have a buyer willing to pay a half a zillion $ for your unit"

I'm going one step further and cancelling the cc that they have the number to. If all works out, I owe you a dinner/drink-whatever!

Monte B.

Last edited by monte12 on Apr 24, 2007 08:34 AM

Apr 24, 2007

You're very welcome monte. That's why I'm here ... to help Redweek members concerning subjects relating to timesharing.

Your thanks is enough, but thank you for the offer of a dinner/drink if it all works out :o). Please keep us informed.

R P.
Apr 24, 2007

jayjay-If you're sure the thanks is enough OK-Maybe someone like you should run a resale company! Then we would all know of one honest company!

Anyhow-The advertising company has agree to refund the money (minus 16% administrative fees-as an opt out). The Bank isn't interested in doing anything since they (the advistiser) are willing to give something back. I'm OK with that and just figure it's a lesson learned, although I really wish there were someway to keep them from having the money-even if it weren't coming back to me.

I'm really glad to have caught this b4 the damage got really serious. I'll probably be listing my Vistana week on redweek

Monte B.
Apr 24, 2007

Ok, I just got a phone message from the original agent saying that he has the closing papers ready to sign. I strongly suspect this is being done to try to keep me from opting out (I have to send them a "opt out letter" which we are probably doing tomorrow).

I've told him if he truly does have a buyer (willing to pay way too much IMO) to fax me the papers immediately and I'll examine them. I expressed my concerns that he's scamming me since he hasn't put anything in writing beyond what their contract says (and it's wrong in a couple of places).

Is there anything I should look for to see if the closing papers he faxes are authentic or just something put together in his office to make me believe there is a serious offer? Or should I probably just go with my gut that this is way too good to be true and he's just trying to keep me from opting out until their opt out period has passed?

I think I'll use a little test...He says he can sell my timeshare for over $15K. I'll offer to sell it to him for $5k. He covers all expenses and resells it himself and he can make a big profit. Anyone want to make any guesses on the response I get LOL

Monte B.

Last edited by monte12 on Apr 24, 2007 01:57 PM

Apr 24, 2007

monte12 wrote:
I think I'll use a little test...He says he can sell my timeshare for over $15K. I'll offer to sell it to him for $5k. He covers all expenses and resells it himself and he can make a big profit. Anyone want to make any guesses on the response I get LOL

monte, that's how these companies operate, they tell you they can sell your timeshare for much more than it's worth .... it's a gimmick and a scam just to get your upfront money then you never hear from them again. Read all the horror stories here on Redweek concerning those weasles.

Tell him you'll make a deal ... if he sells your timeshare then you will pay his fee AFTER the closing and see how fast he hangs up on you. Once they get your money, they don't even try to sell your timeshare .... why should they?

These people have absolutely no conscience. I'd rather dig ditches or pick up garbage than work for one of those companies that deceives and outright lies to innocent people.

I'd be interested to know what the socalled 'closing contract' states. I doubt it's a genuine contract.

BTW, were you able to stop payment on your bankcard when you cancelled it?

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Apr 24, 2007 04:58 PM

Apr 24, 2007

Amyv41,

I have posted on this forum detailing my scam experience with Land Ahoy properties. They are based in Orlando too. What company did you work for? Have you heard of Land Ahoy Properties at all?

Do tell, PLEASE!!!

Nori N.
Apr 26, 2007

norin wrote:
Amyv41,

I have posted on this forum detailing my scam experience with Land Ahoy properties. They are based in Orlando too. What company did you work for? Have you heard of Land Ahoy Properties at all?

Do tell, PLEASE!!!

I dealt with Omega marketing and paid them 500.00 up front. That was in Oct 2006,they never contacted me in any way until after i posted a neg. message on this website.I called them often but spoke with the person answering the phone, with promises that I would be contacted!!! Never happened until about two weeks ago when I got a very short email stating the selling season would be picking up and that they were aggressively marketing my T.S.! that was my first and only correspondence from them after I paid them 500.00 with a check card!!All lessons learned the hard way are well remembered!! I will never forget OMEGA MARKETING ALLOWING me to flush 500.00 into their system.Im sure they are laughing all the way to the bank with each fish they hook in their NET!!!! aliceb47

Alice B.
Apr 26, 2007

norin wrote:
Amyv41,

Do tell, PLEASE!!!

I do not know of them, I can only tell you that you should NEVER EVER TRUST ANY OF THEM. I suggest that you call: Voice: 407-999-5588 Fax: 407-245-0365 Mailing Address Economic Crimes Division Office of the Attorney General 135 W. Central Blvd., Suite 1000 Orlando, FL 32801 Location 135 W Central Blvd, Suite 1000 AND report the company to them ASAP. It may be just one more complaint they need to stop the scam in its tracks. CALL THEM.

Amy V.
Apr 26, 2007

IDo tell, PLEASE!!! I dealt with Omega marketing and paid them 500.00 up front. That was in Oct 2006,they never contacted me in any way until after i posted a neg. message on this website.I called them often but spoke with the person answering the phone, with promises that I would be contacted!!! Never happened until about two weeks ago when I got a very short email stating the selling season would be picking up and that they were aggressively marketing my T.S.! that was my first and only correspondence from them after I paid them 500.00 with a check card!!All lessons learned the hard way are well remembered!! I will never forget OMEGA MARKETING ALLOWING me to flush 500.00 into their system.Im sure they are laughing all the way to the bank with each fish they hook in their NET!!!! aliceb47

Well heck, if there's any chance a company gets a bit motivated if they see their name here...I dealt with LEGACY RESORT MANAGEMENT in Mt. Dora Florida

Monte B.
May 02, 2007

Who was the Company the oerson who started this discussion worked for?

Jay K.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.