Marriott's Maui Ocean Club - Molokai, Maui & Lanai Towers

QUESTION FOR ALL RESALE OWNERS OF MAUI OCEAN CLUB

Jun 06, 2007

wanted to get any feedback from resale owners that bought time shares on the open market and not from marriott. We bought a ocean view 1 bedroom( odd year ) last year on the resale market, and everything has gone perfect and we have just come back from using our week.cant say enough about how nice we were treated and everything was great..........except??

upon arriving we were asked if we wanted to see the new tower rooms. of course i wanted to see them, i wasnt in the market to buy but wanted to see what was new. so an appointment was set up to viewthem.. we went and we ran into the same salemen that we had the year before, at that time we were intrested but when we heard the prices and after a little thinking we realized that we could save major money on the resale market, anyway he remember us from the last year and realizing that we had bought outside the marriott family and now waisting his time a second time knowing we would go outside again he wasnt a happy camper.... i understood knowing this is his job and taking his time a second time was taking out of his chances on selling to someone who would buy that day. but i didnt set the time and set the salesmen so to get him was just chance.

BUT THIS IS WHERE I WOULD LIKE ANY FEEDBACK FROM RESALE OWNERS....

as my salesmen was burning off steam he noticed our room number in the malowki tower and said we were very lucky getting one the best ocean view rooms there ??? and why was that i asked he said that when owners from marriott sell ther units on the resale market , the new owners have a mark next to there names " EXTERNAL " meaning we as resale owner would get the last of the resservation and the less desirable units in that catagory..... THIS WAS NEWS TO ME ....IWAS TOLD THAT MAKE YOUR RESERVATION A YEAR IN ADVANCE, AND REQUEST THE LOCATION AND IT WAS A FIRST COME FIRST SERVE BASIS, AND THAT YOU WOULD BE GIVEN THE BEST AS TO WHEN YOU CALLED IN ....

NOW if marriott is blacklisting there resale owners , but still calling us owners and collecting there maintenace fees every year..was this a slip up on the salesmens part by telling me this, a sales pitch to try to get us to convert us into the marriott family and the points system they have....

I DONT KNOW...IM HAVING SOME ELSE CHECK INTO THIS FOR ME BUT WOULD LOVE TO HEARD IF ANY RESALE OWNERS FELT THAT THEY WERE TREATED DIFFERENTLY BUT GETTING BAD ROOM LOCATIONS WHEN THEY FELT THAT THEY CALLED EARLY ENOUGH TO GET THERE REQUEST OR ANYTHING IN GENERAL.

AGAIN I NEED TO SAY WE HAD A WODERFUL TRIP AND EVERYONE WAS GREAT TO US THIS TIME , BUT WE BOUGHT OR TIME SHARE FROM AN ORIGINAL OWNER AND HE MADE OUR RESERVATIONS FOR US LAST YEAR AS PART OF BUYING FROM HIM, AND UPON CHECKIN EVEN WHEN SHOWING MY OWNERS CARD THEY HAD THE ORIGINAL OWNERS NAME NEXT TO OURS LIKE WE WERE A GUEST OF HIM AND I HAD TO CHANGE THAT THERE, SO WERE WE JUST LUCKY OR IS THERE A PROBLEM ???

WOULD LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK ON THIS ISSUE

Jeff W.
Jun 19, 2007

>> I WAS TOLD THAT MAKE YOUR RESERVATION A YEAR IN ADVANCE, AND REQUEST THE LOCATION AND IT WAS A FIRST COME FIRST SERVE BASIS, AND THAT YOU WOULD BE GIVEN THE BEST AS TO WHEN YOU CALLED IN

That part is definitely not true. You can put in your requests for room location at any time, but the actual room assignments are not made until just a few weeks prior to check-in. The date/time when you made your original reservation has nothing to do with it. Room preference is given first to owners using their own weeks, then to other Marriott owners who are trading in, then to non-Marriott owners who are trading in. I guess there is another category of people who may be renting weeks directly from Marriott. I can only assume that they would get fairly high priority too (just guessing).

>> as my salesman was burning off steam ...

I wouldn't spend two seconds worrying about the issue of your salesman's bad mood. They will say/do whatever it takes to make a sale (even make up stories about how units are assigned). There are good ones and bad ones out there - sounds like you got a jerk.

>> NOW if marriott is blacklisting their resale owners ...

Whether resale buyers get an "EXTERNAL" flag next to their name - I have no idea. It would not surprise me however. Please let us know if you find out.

Gregory B.
Jun 20, 2007

WE ARE WANTING TO BUY ON A RESALE BASIS AND I WOULD BE VERY INTERESTED TO HEAR IF RESALE OWNERS ARE TREATED DIFFERENTLY.

I KNOW THEY KEEP TRACK OF EVERY SINGLE THING YOU DO SO MARKING YOU AS "EXTERNAL" DOESN'T SURPRISE ME. THEY WANT TO KEEP TRACK OF WHO THEY HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF SELLING TO IN THE FUTURE AND AN "EXTERNAL" CANDIDATE WOULD BE LESS LIKELY TO BUY ANOTHER UNIT NEW.

I DO WISH THERE WAS A WAY TO FIND OUT WHETHER UNIT ASSIGNMENTS ARE AFFECTED BY THIS. HOWEVER, EVEN IF THEY WERE, THE AMOUNT OF SAVINGS BETWEEN THE PURCHASE PRICE OF NEW TO RESALE KIND OF MAKES IT WORTH A LESSER VIEW FOR ME.

ONCE YOU CHECKED IN AND CHANGED YOUR NAME FROM THE PREVIOUS OWNER'S TO YOURS, DID IT CHANGE IT PERMANENTLY IN THE MARRIOTT SYSTEM?

I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR ABOUT ANY FEEDBACK REGARDING THIS SUBJECT BECAUSE WE ARE CLOSE TO PURCHASING RESALE. WE DID SO WITH HILTON AND SAVED THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS AND HAVE NEVER FELT LIKE A STEP CHILD IN THEIR SYSTEM.

Linda D.
Jun 22, 2007

Okay, first of all I want to establish that we have owned Marriott (Grand Ocean on Hilton Head Island from Marriott) for 13 years, and have owned Marriott (Kauai and Maui) from resale for several years. Here's what I know:

Regarding your statement, "I WAS TOLD THAT MAKE YOUR RESERVATION A YEAR IN ADVANCE, AND REQUEST THE LOCATION AND IT WAS A FIRST COME FIRST SERVE BASIS, AND THAT YOU WOULD BE GIVEN THE BEST AS TO WHEN YOU CALLED IN," with all due respect to gblotter's statement that this is "definitely not true," there actually IS truth to your statement. Here's what makes it confusing - You can put your request in one week before your arrival and get your choice ahead of someone else who requested a few months earlier IF your actual reservation for the week was made ahead of others. We have been told over and over that the room assignment DOES have to do with when our reservation was made, so we always make reservations one year in advance and we always get the view we own and the placement or approximate placement that we want.

We have been told many mistruths over the years, and so I've learned to ALWAYS go to Owner Services to find out the truth. We were told some of the same lies you have been told by a salesman that was ticked that we were even considering resale. We asked to speak to his boss, and his boss helped him squirm right out of the lies. Thankfully, he is no longer in sales! (We heard a year later that there were several complaints about him.) In the mean time, we bought resale and have been extremely happy with it.

We have looked into the "mark" by our name, as we have heard that from an irritated salesman as well. Owner Services told us that the mark is to let them know that they can not accept the week to be traded for points, and that the resort itself doesn't really care if we bought it through Marriott or resale - Marriott doesn't have to give 200,000 bonus points for a resale so they figure they break about even. Please remember that Marriott has right of first refusal - if they didn't want the units selling on the resale market, they would be buying them all back, as they have that right!

The ONLY reason to buy Marriott FROM Marriott is to be able to trade it for points and use the points. (Resale purchases don't allow points.) We love our points (traveled to such places as Australia) from our Grand Ocean, but since we don't need more with points, we will continue to buy resale. We are looking at buying a fourth Marriott week in the next couple of years and it WILL be resale. No marks are against us...no problems with the views and locations....no different treatment than Marriott owners who bought through Marriott at the resorts we bought resale - Kauai and Maui.

Hope this helps and that it makes sense.....I'm hurrying, but I wanted to try to help you, as we also struggled before we bought our first resale unit.

Good luck! You will love it - just remember to reserve early and then to put in your room request whenever you want....no hurry on that part.

Kathy W.

Last edited by kathyw84 on Jul 23, 2007 10:42 PM

Jun 28, 2007

the flag by your name is so marriott knows if you are supposed to get mariott points. that's it. no conspiracy. no redheaded stepchild treatment. your salesman did you a dis-service. enjoy your great purchase.

you get what room is available when you get there. sometimes it is a great room and sometimes its a good room. call a few weeks prior to arrival and let marriott know of any special needs. they will do their best to help.

you start to get priority treatment when you own multiple units.

Jeff M.
Jul 09, 2007

Just returned from the resort and stayed in the new Lahaina Tower...and took the sales tour of the older towers as well. They are also beautiful. I'm interested in buying a re-sale and was wondering which websites were recommended for good re-sale deals. Thanks for any help.

Gloria C.

Last edited by gloriac53 on Jul 09, 2007 08:36 PM

Jul 10, 2007

gloriac53 wrote:
Just returned from the resort and stayed in the new Lahaina Tower...and took the sales tour of the older towers as well. They are also beautiful. I'm interested in buying a re-sale and was wondering which websites were recommended for good re-sale deals. Thanks for any help.

Hi Gloria,

There are a lot of resale postings for both Marriott's Maui Ocean Club and Lahaina Tower here on RedWeek.com. Please check them out.

Thanks, Marty

Marty F
Jul 10, 2007

do you remember what price they were asking for the older units? do they still have models for the older units? i am guessing that the older units are the trade ins for the new units??

Jeff M.
Jul 23, 2007

Hi everyone, I'm going over in a couple of weeks for a tour of the Marriott. I currently own a week at the Westin in Maui. But, I have a friend that owns in Marriott and recently talked with the sales people. He said they do have trade in so to speak from owners who have upgraded and they are priced very well. I would recommend calling them to get the bottom line if you are an owner, and if you are going over for the presentation, ask to see the inventory list. I understand it changes alot and you can find some really good deals directly from them. I myself am looking for another week so I'd be interested in any comments anyone might have. Although I'm going to the presentation, and I've looked at resale on this property which is running from 16K on up. I'll probably go to the open Market unless I see a deal that is better than what I see posted. Thoughts anyone.

Debbie A.
Jul 23, 2007

I was looking at purchasing a one bedroom ocean view unit then realized that some 42 of these units views are going to be obstructed by the new Napili Villas when Marriott completes them. In addition to the two plus years of construction. What is Marriott going to do about this. The 2100 some owner's are going to be affected.

Dean B.
Jul 23, 2007

deanb2 wrote:
I was looking at purchasing a one bedroom ocean view unit then realized that some 42 of these units views are going to be obstructed by the new Napili Villas when Marriott completes them. In addition to the two plus years of construction. What is Marriott going to do about this. The 2100 some owner's are going to be affected.

It is my understanding that they will still have an ocean view. In the past, these units were similar to ocean front units as you could really see the ocean from the living room couch. Now they will be more like true ocean view - sometimes the view is only from the lanai. Hope this helps.

Kathy W.
Jul 23, 2007

debbiea88 wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm going over in a couple of weeks for a tour of the Marriott. I currently own a week at the Westin in Maui. But, I have a friend that owns in Marriott and recently talked with the sales people. He said they do have trade in so to speak from owners who have upgraded and they are priced very well. I would recommend calling them to get the bottom line if you are an owner, and if you are going over for the presentation, ask to see the inventory list. I understand it changes alot and you can find some really good deals directly from them. I myself am looking for another week so I'd be interested in any comments anyone might have. Although I'm going to the presentation, and I've looked at resale on this property which is running from 16K on up. I'll probably go to the open Market unless I see a deal that is better than what I see posted. Thoughts anyone.
i have a 1 bed ocean view for sale for 12.5 even years

Jeff M.
Aug 17, 2007

your even years ? how do you upgrade to every year ? or do you just buy another with odds ?

Kevin M.
Aug 17, 2007

kevinm248 wrote:
your even years ? how do you upgrade to every year ? or do you just buy another with odds ?
just buy the odd year one, or go thought marriott and upgrade yours by turning yours in for exchange for 40% less than you bought it for.....thats a good deal isnt :) thats why we are buying them on the secondary market, because marriott corp cant do the math for there timeshare holders that pay there wages..........

Jeff W.
Aug 21, 2007

I, too, am interested in purchasing on resale, but looking at the gain/losses of purchasing directly from Marriott. I love the points that were awarded when I bought my first 2 weeks and used them, but am currently unaware of the current market cost {from Marriott on an odd year purchase for a 2 bedroom - anyone familiar?} as well as any incentives they are offering {points that is}. Any information is greatly appreciated. We just returned from a trip to Hawaii and love it - I know we'll go back - not every year - but every other year is not unreasonable, hence my interest in purchasing. All help is welcome. Thank you

Debbra Z.
Aug 21, 2007

Hi everyone, I just got back from Maui and stayed in a one bedroom conversion unit (facing the construction). This was on a preview package. The noise wasn't too bad and I believe even with the additional building, they will have ocean views. I had never stayed in a conversion so I guess I was expecting a full kitchen! When I went to the presentation, I didn't hide the fact I already owned at the Westin and bought on the resale market. She was very nice and showed me the new units. Very nice and a little bit out of my price range for even the Mountain/Garden View units. I asked them what they had on the inventory list for the current conversion units and she said she'd have to talk with her manager. Basically came back and gave me a list of prices for the conversions they had currently. But in any case, she was nice and left me with all the paperwork for the new units and the current list. I like the location and activities of the Marriott but they are a little over my buget to buy directly. If I consider a Marriott, I will have to buy on the open Market. If your interested in knowing what the pricing is, let me know!

Debbie A.
Aug 21, 2007

debbiea88 wrote:
Hi everyone, I just got back from Maui and stayed in a one bedroom conversion unit (facing the construction). This was on a preview package. The noise wasn't too bad and I believe even with the additional building, they will have ocean views. I had never stayed in a conversion so I guess I was expecting a full kitchen! When I went to the presentation, I didn't hide the fact I already owned at the Westin and bought on the resale market. She was very nice and showed me the new units. Very nice and a little bit out of my price range for even the Mountain/Garden View units. I asked them what they had on the inventory list for the current conversion units and she said she'd have to talk with her manager. Basically came back and gave me a list of prices for the conversions they had currently. But in any case, she was nice and left me with all the paperwork for the new units and the current list. I like the location and activities of the Marriott but they are a little over my buget to buy directly. If I consider a Marriott, I will have to buy on the open Market. If your interested in knowing what the pricing is, let me know!
Yes, I'd be interested in hearing what the two-bedroom ocean FRONT units are. Would appreciate the pricing for every year as well as every other year (EOY).

We bought on the resale market a couple of years ago at this resort and have been very happy. Bought another Marriott on Kauai as a resale a number of years ago and have also been happy with it. Bought from Marriott at another location 13 years ago, and have not experienced any difference in how we are treated. The only difference is that we can't trade the unit in for points if we don't want to use it, which is no problem, as we use the Hawaii units every year.

Look forward to receiving your price information.

Kathy W.
Aug 21, 2007

Would LOVE to know the pricing - please let me know what information you received. Thank you in advance.

debbiea88 wrote:

Debbra Z.
Aug 22, 2007

dz2 Would LOVE to know the pricing - please let me know what information you received. Thank you in advance.

OK, here goes and just as an fyi, I don't see any disclosures that I can't share this information and these are dated 8/9/07 Conversions one bedroom Suites: Ocean Front $38,700 Ocean View $35,500 Mt/Garden $27,500 Island View $23,700

Conversions two bedroom Suites: Ocean Front $61,700 Ocean View $54,200 Mt./Garden $43,600

Lahaina Villas- new building (one week) Ocean Front $70,400 (3 Bedroom) Ocean View $62,700 Mt/garden View $51,200

I believe the new Villas ocean front are all three bedrooms and the ocean view and garden are two bedroom. This sheet doesn't break it out specifically and I can't remember.

Debbie A.
Aug 23, 2007

debbiea88

dz2 wrote:
Would LOVE to know the pricing - please let me know what information you received. Thank you in advance.

OK, here goes and just as an fyi, I don't see any disclosures that I can't share this information and these are dated 8/9/07 Conversions one bedroom Suites: Ocean Front $38,700 Ocean View $35,500 Mt/Garden $27,500 Island View $23,700

Conversions two bedroom Suites: Ocean Front $61,700 Ocean View $54,200 Mt./Garden $43,600

Lahaina Villas- new building (one week) Ocean Front $70,400 (3 Bedroom) Ocean View $62,700 Mt/garden View $51,200

I believe the new Villas ocean front are all three bedrooms and the ocean view and garden are two bedroom. This sheet doesn't break it out specifically and I can't remember.

the older units, is the pricing for every year??

Jeff M.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.